Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement -- any problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After taking delivery of my MY last month, I noticed some minor scratches on the windshield - vertical scratches about a foot long just to the right of the passenger's field of view. I reported this ASAP and Tesla will replace the windshield at their expense.

My service appointment is next week. I am debating whether I really want them to replace the windshield for this minor issue.
Have any of you had experience with windshield replacement? Did it go smoothly? I am worried is might introduce other issues (autopilot related or leak / wind noise).

The scratches are relatively minor and I have never seen them while driving (they are noticeable if you look for them when the car is parked) but shouldn't have been there on a brand new $60k car. I might ask to see if they can buff out the scratches rather than replace the windshield -- but perhaps that will bring issues with clarity ...

Just wondering if anyone has experience with windshield replacement ... perhaps it is really routine and no issue, and I will go forward with it. But if people have had problems (i.e. it took 2 weeks to get the car back, the new windshield wasn't sealed properly and leaked, autopilot doesnt work anymore, new wind noise, etc etc etc.)

Thanks for any experience or advice you can offer!

I would get it replaced if those scratches are noticeable and bothering you. Just got mine replaced after a rock hit it. Fitment is actually better than original and no issues with autopilot. It will re calibrate on your drive home. Make sure to check for nay distortions after replacement. BUT I do have an issue with HVAC acting strange ever since. After doing some research, Apparently I need service center to push a new or existing software update to car to re calibrate the temp sensor. Working on that.

I would get it replaced if those scratches are noticeable and bothering you. Just got mine replaced after a rock hit it. Fitment is actually better than original and no issues with autopilot. It will re calibrate on your drive home. Make sure to check for nay distortions after replacement. BUT I do have an issue with HVAC acting strange ever since. After doing some research, Apparently I need service center to push a new or existing software update to car to re calibrate the temp sensor. Working on that.
Thanks for your reply. I did get the windshield replaced, and no issues with the windshield, but they got some glue on my hood, which they tried to buff off, and they did a terrible job - I need to go back and get the hood detailed (swirl marks and holograms on the paint). This can be corrected but I‘m just annoyed.

My problem is that Tesla canceled my windshield appointment 24 hours before the appointment saying that they are too busy and other shops can handle the work. Btw, they don't often see a need to have the cameras adjusted after a windshield replacement. Let us know if your vehicle tells you it is needed and we will schedule something then. I had scheduled this over 2 weeks ago when the windshield first cracked so now I get to give up more personal time next year.

I had my windshield replaced about 6 months ago and I thought it went well....that is, until I noticed that my VIN was no longer visible. I believe that they use a Lotus windshield and the VIN is in a different place on the Elise. I'm not sure if there's an easy solution as I've been told that it's difficult to "erase" the area that blocks the VIN.