Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 windshield replacement with newer windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Has anyone replaced their older M3 (2018) windshield with a newer M3 windshield (Tesla original)? Tesla said they don't make the older M3 windshield anymore. My VIN was given to Tesla for ordering the part but they came back with a newer camera cutout windshield. According to Tesla, it will work. Tesla SC Oakville, Ontario, Canada, doesn't replace windshield anymore, they sent me to 3rd party for replacement.

The new camera cutout and heating element is different compared to my older M3 (attached). Has anyone experience any problem with using the newer windshield on an older M3? e.g. calibration issue?

Attached is my old windshield with the camera cutout shape.
1691588906293.png

I went back to the shop to measure the distance from the top of the glass to the circle sensor facing upwards. In conclusion, my current sensor circle doesn't align with the new windshield sensor circle. The older model's circle position is lower than the newer model windscreen circle position. So, I decided not to move forward with the risky replacement. Instead, I repaired the chip, it's not perfect but better than risking it.

Upvote 0
I went back to the shop to measure the distance from the top of the glass to the circle sensor facing upwards. In conclusion, my current sensor circle doesn't align with the new windshield sensor circle. The older model's circle position is lower than the newer model windscreen circle position. So, I decided not to move forward with the risky replacement. Instead, I repaired the chip, it's not perfect but better than risking it.
This is nuts. Why would they create a new windshield design without accounting for retrofit on older models??

So if your windshield was cracked beyond repair you'd have to spring for an entirely new camera assembly? I'm sure that's not exactly cheap.

Upvote 0
If you can do a reasonable repair, that may be the best option... but if the windshield does need to be replaced, and the OEM windshield for older cars is not available, the only option is an aftermarket windshield. If Saint Gobain Sekurit (the OEM supplier) produces aftermarket windshields, they are probably fine and only noticeably differ in the markings in the corner. But aftermarket windshields from other companies are likely to have to be reverse engineered, and may not match as well.

Upvote 0