Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Replacement - MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a rock chip/ crack on my MY yesterday. I’m debating on wether to just have Tesla take care of it, or have a glass company (that I’ve worked with in the past with no complaint) take care of it. I’m looking for some general advice / guidance as I was a little worried about the calibration etc.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

I had my windshield replaced by a Tesla Service Center several weeks ago. No pain, no fuss. Just make a service appointment through the app. No camera calibration necessary afterwards. Was reimbursed by my insurance company for the cost. Perfect job. Total cost about $1300 (includes parts and installation).

I’ve had two windshields replaced, about $1300 thru SafeLite, had the issue with AC not working right till I got an update from Tesla, but all working fine.

Second time was thru Tesla Service, I used my Tesla Insurance, and got a discount so total was about $930 and had no issues with AC.

Just be prepared to have a wait time for the glass to come in. Tesla gave me Uber credits to come and go from service center. I’d use Tesla again.

I had my windshield replaced by a Tesla Service Center several weeks ago. No pain, no fuss. Just make a service appointment through the app. No camera calibration necessary afterwards. Was reimbursed by my insurance company for the cost. Perfect job. Total cost about $1300 (includes parts and installation).
Not accurate on the calibration. A pitch angle verification is required per Tesla work instructions which then forces the dynamic calibration. For $1,300, they should have checked that.

I’m basically relaying what I was told (that all you need to do is drive the car for several miles, and the cameras will self-calibrate) by multiple Service Center advisors, so I guess the point is to expect to hear different answers depending on who you are talking to, but you may need to come to your own conclusions.

Last edited: