Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did my windshield tint lead to this crack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
Walked from my office to my car in the hot parking lot to this. There appears to be a very small impact chip near the bottom. I do not recall hearing any impact. This crack was not there this morning. After baking in the sun for hours did the tint cause the glass to heat up and crack? I would've liked the opportunity to repair the chip, but I'm not sure I would have caught it. Questioning whether to replace the tint now.

Also, Satellite or Tesla service for repair?

P.S. Sorry for the photo quality. It was challenging getting a shot without reflection.

P.P.S All three of my cars are in disrepair now. My other two cars are waiting for body shop availability for hail damage that half the city had. First world problems, I know...

PXL_20230711_221525317.jpg
PXL_20230711_222046363.jpg
PXL_20230711_222102450.jpg

If you want your window repaired quickly, you may want to do safelite; however, I would make sure that the camera is properly calibrated when the installer is done with the job. If you are unsure, just schedule a calibration of the front cameras with tesla and they can make sure that the camera is calibrated properly. I do believe this was an impact crack from the pictures.

• Disagree
Reactions: unhyphy and Noflash
I see a pretty clear impact at the center point of those cracks. Probably nothing to do with the tint.

Precisely what I was thinking as well.
I agree there was an impact point. My question was really - did the tint cause the glass to be hotter increasing the odds that the impact point would cause that long crack. An small impact crack fix is usually free and easy. If the tint increases the likelihood that a small crack will spread, I may not get the windshield tint in the future.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
STAY AWAY FROM SAFELITE, TERRIBLE
Hate saying that but nothing but problems for my family and many friends when we used Safelite
Use Tesla
We just used them for hail damage on our Pilot, with no issues (apart from being later than promised). They gave us $100 back for that. Work seems to be fine for that car. The Tesla work could be more complicated.
You may find that Tesla is cheaper too.
Maybe, but I'm just paying my $250 deductible.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. This is helpful.

Reactions: Darmie
I agree there was an impact point. My question was really - did the tint cause the glass to be hotter increasing the odds that the impact point would cause that long crack. An small impact crack fix is usually free and easy. If the tint increases the likelihood that a small crack will spread, I may not get the windshield tint in the future.
Tint will typically increase the temperature of the glass, which can cause cracks to spread. Whether or not its statistically significant, I don't know.

Reactions: Noflash
Get 0 deductible glass replacement from your insurance. pays for itself x 100 as windshields in general are thinner and crack with slight impact. tesla policy is to not bill insurance but have you pay, so the trick is to get quotes from safelight ($$$$$) nd present to your insurance, they will cut you a check which is generally more than what it cost at tesla

If you want your window repaired quickly, you may want to do safelite; however, I would make sure that the camera is properly calibrated when the installer is done with the job. If you are unsure, just schedule a calibration of the front cameras with tesla and they can make sure that the camera is calibrated properly. I do believe this was an impact crack from the pictures.

If you want your window repaired quickly, you may want to do safelite as tesla may have a longer turn around time and many safelite employees have transitioned to doing tesla glass for tesla. This is a matter of preference and quality which can vary from place to place, however, I would make sure that the camera is properly calibrated when the installer is done with the job. If you are unsure, just schedule a calibration of the front cameras with tesla and they can make sure that the camera is calibrated properly. I do believe this was an impact crack from the pictures.

It has nothing to do with tint. I don't have windshield tint on one of my cars, and it has a 15-inch crack from being parked outside in hot weather. And that's despite having the original chip repaired by a mobile glass repairer. I was able to stop the crack from expanding further by drilling a relief crevice with a Dremel

in my old ice cars i had a 6" crack that i lived with for over 5 years. it never grew further one summer so i replaced the windshield after that. on a different ice car i got another rock chip that expanded in an afternoon so i think heat makes cracks expand. hope i never have to replace a tesla windshield.