Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a big crack in my windshield and got a quote from safelight. The quote has a charge of 750.00 to recalibrate the ADAS system. Do I still need them to do that if I have a calibration procedure in the Tesla settings on the car??? I also got a quote from Tesla for the replacement, there was no recalibration charge but the quote was about the same because the window assembly was more money.

Got a big crack in my windshield and got a quote from safelight. The quote has a charge of 750.00 to recalibrate the ADAS system. Do I still need them to do that if I have a calibration procedure in the Tesla settings on the car??? I also got a quote from Tesla for the replacement, there was no recalibration charge but the quote was about the same because the window assembly was more money.
I just got my car back from Safelite. I got the same quote, are you in Scottsdale? Is it the store on Raintree?
The online quote was just for windshield replacement for $700. They quote me the same amount ($750) for the calibration. Initially I refused because I know you can clear calibration and allow Tesla to calibrate itself. (Tesla had me do it when I picked up the car in 2020, on the way home). However Safelite technician came out an gave me the talk about how they use target, computer and they get on call with Tesla. If I don't do this; it's a HUGE safety issue, blah blah blah. (BTW this is called pitch verification). Ultimately they REFUSED to replace my windshield unless I also pay for the calibration. So reluctantly I agreed.... THIS IS WHERE IT GETS HILARIOUS.
They called me one hour later. They replaced they windshield but couldn't calibrate because their system was down ??? They gave me the option to pick up the car and sign the waiver because it wasn't calibrated. I picked up the car, got in, tapped on the service menu of the UI and clicked on "clear calibration" The car went in to calibration mode and on the way home IT CALIBRATED ITSELF.🤣 Autopilot works fine.
However because the technician dire warnings did make me question myself, I went online to do some research. The consensus is that you don't need pitch verification (the fancy target based calibration) unless your car's own self-calibration fails. The ultimate proof is in the Tesla owner's manual itself:
If a camera has shifted from its calibrated position (for example, the camera or windshield was replaced), you must clear the calibration. To do so, touch Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration. When the calibration is cleared, Model 3 repeats the calibration process. While this helps re-calibrate the cameras in many cases, Clear Calibration may not resolve all camera and sensor concerns.
So I literally did it by the book. It is pretty clear that the "clear calibration" procedure was designed for windshield replacement however it sounds like it may not work in certain cases and then you would need the fancy "pitch verification"....and then I would go to Tesla for that anyway.
...so basically Safelite is scamming you by FORCING unnecessary work and grossly overcharging for the 15 min procedure. This is the procedure by the way: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3
anyone that charges 750 for calibration is running a scam... just get it done by Tesla with OEM glass, paying a premium for OEM and mobile service, but still cheaper than dealing with fraudsters. ($1100 installed by mobile service)

Reactions: CyberB
Tesla2.jpg

Little context for the above screenshot. I scheduled a service with Tesla for calibration "pitch verification". I sent them a message about what happened with Safelite as described above and they confirmed that I don't need it. I cancelled the appointment with Tesla. The car self calibrated after being prompted after the windshield replacement. Everything works fine.