TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield replacement

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BESTX, May 23, 2018.

1. BESTX

BESTX New Member

I have been waiting 1-1/2 months for a new windshield and no hope in site for one. I am still able to drive, but getting very annoyed with the service being offered. Any suggestions??

2. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

What part of the world you in? That does seem like a stupid long wait for a piece of glass. Granted a very big piece of glass but still!

• Disagree x 1
  3. GayForEllon

GayForEllon Banned

"

Its right there...

:p

• Disagree x 1
  4. BESTX

BESTX New Member

Vancouver BC Canada

• Funny x 1
  5. Tmoody

Tmoody Member

The service center just received mine the other day and is currently replacing.....they put in an order for the replacement at then end of February after performing the ghosting test and confirming it was out of spec.

Take this with a grain of salt, but the SA claimed they had received (2) others during the time frame and they were shattered pieces of glass because they were sent FEDEX in cardboard boxes..........I can only guess that these may be coming straight from the vendors and not Tesla (maybe?) because they said that they had to receive them, call to report back that they were broken, send pictures, take them out of their physical inventory at the SC, prior to be able to send in another order for a new one. I can only HOPE that this isn't the general efficiency levels that the SC's have to deal with..........

6. wildag

wildag Member

In late 2017 I waited over two months to receive a replacement windshield in the DC area. They seem to have a hard time acquiring enough inventory for replacement parts. But to be fair, it is a huge piece of glass - and shipping those around can’t be cheap. I imagine they want to hold them at distribution points and not directly in the service center inventory.

• Like x 1
  7. dcevelyn

dcevelyn Member

I just had the windshield replaced on my Model S last week, similar experience to the ones that have been outlined in this thread. Time from initial order to delivery of the windshield was nearly 2 months and was told that multiple windshields were received that were broken. The local service center also told me that they were taking time internally to review how Tesla glass gets shipped as this had been a large, wide-spread problem.

8. hly

hly Member

Paramus SC received mine 2 days after they ordered. It was in March 2018.

9. GEAUXHOOKEM

GEAUXHOOKEM Member

I had the windshield replaced on my X a few weeks ago. It took less than two weeks to come in to the Dallas (Cedar Springs) service center. I can't say the same for all the other parts which took well over 2.5 months.

10. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about that long wait.

Different part, and car (Model S), but I've been waiting >1 month for a front fender/bumper and a headlamp. I suppose that there's a just in time approach taken to spare parts in the supply chain overall. I understand from the Tesla-authorised supplier that the distribution hubs are limited in number here in Europe. Most likely it will be another month before it's in.

11. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

#11 Kandiru, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    OK, here is my saga.

1. Awful high pitched impact noise while driving passing dump truck about three weeks ago, ducked and covered face, then parked and inspected car, nothing.
    2. A week later curvilinear crack appeared to the right of the camera, and expanded nicely across half the windshield, all around the camera/mirror cluster.
    3. Called Tesla phone rep, said will inform SC and expect replacement in 3-4 days.
    4. State Farm checked with Tesla, will have to pay OOP the $1199 then get it back minus the $100 deductible.
    5. Scheduled service appt two weeks later and rescheduled about 12 appointments from that day, my staff were frantic.
    6. Three days before service appt I call SC, they say no can do, no windshields around.
    7. Lurked here, hit the Escalate button on the Tesla online serice page, 30 min later lady from Seattle calls to let me know she is on the ball, I get a loaner and save the 5h roundtrip to SC as they will drive it to me. ETA 3-4 weeks.
    8. Surprise call a day later, Columbus SC located a windshield on truck to them. Next day call at work, rush to parking lot, swap loaner, another day and car back with new windshield, steering column recall done, and rusting liftgate strut mount replaced. As usual txt messages arrived when work started and when completed.

Car now rides like out of factory, nothing like the wobbly suspension my VAG cars developed 2-3 years into ownership. While at it they found a sticky door handle and went for it just to be sure.

Love my Model S, love Tesla and the Columbus SC!

Oopsie, X forum but relevant to topic.

12. Ted Z

Ted Z Member

13. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

Yes it takes a very long time.... 3 weeks and counting on mine!

14. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

I have an S...but it took a week to order and receive new windshield. Just had it replaced last Monday.

• Informative x 1
  15. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

Replaced mine a few months ago. Took ,Alberta a week to arrive. Months? Something isn’t right....

16. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

hope it turns out well, such a wait is inexcusable.

17. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

One month and counting for my S to get it to Devon, PA. Still no ETA.

18. bayx

bayx Member

Why did you need windshield replacement?

19. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

The current one got dirty

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2