Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X front windshield replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to get a front windshield replaced for a 2016 Model X, and Tesla service provided an estimate of ~$2,300 in total before taxes.

We do have insurance. But, this just seemed a little outrageous, and so want to know whether this is the typical price (in CA). Thanks.

Oh, and we’ve been waiting over a month for a replacement windshield part to show up as well. Are these usually that backed up?

F6F94DF0-2002-46CA-A6A0-4081E8E937D5.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I was given an estimate of about $1500 for a windshield replacement last year by Tesla… but since I had the windshield option under my Farmers policy, all I paid was a $100 deductible and it didn’t count as a claim that affected my premium at renewal. Safelite charged a bit cheaper, but since my deductible was the same, I chose Tesla to do it since the front camera would need to be recalibrated when the old windshield was replaced. Tesla did a great job.

Sounds about right to me, perhaps a little high on the labor. Check with Safelite, they can do it too. It is frequent regular maintenance. That is the main reason I did not add any tint to my windshield. They just don't last very long.
Insurance is covering redoing tint on the windshield as well. Grateful for that because CA tint places all want over $1K just for windshield tint.

I was given an estimate of about $1500 for a windshield replacement last year by Tesla… but since I had the windshield option under my Farmers policy, all I paid was a $100 deductible and it didn’t count as a claim that affected my premium at renewal. Safelite charged a bit cheaper, but since my deductible was the same, I chose Tesla to do it since the front camera would need to be recalibrated when the old windshield was replaced. Tesla did a great job.
Yea, same here. My deductible is only $100.

But, man, talk about inflation. From $1,500 last year to $2,300 this year.

Yea, same here. My deductible is only $100.

But, man, talk about inflation. From $1,500 last year to $2,300 this year.
Often Safelite has a deal with Insurance companies, that there is no deductible if you use them for the repair. I'd guess they just eat it or split it with the insuranceco.

I went through two windshields in less than 30 days on my 2018. First one was covered by warranty because of the way the crack propagated from the inside. Second one I paid for, there was an external chip. I did not want to file a claim for $2,000 and lose my claim free discount. Windshields are often covered by your Comprehensive coverage which should not affect your rates nor your ability to get coverage. But it IS a claim, and Claim Free discounts can disappear. Probably worth a call before you file a claim.

Often Safelite has a deal with Insurance companies, that there is no deductible if you use them for the repair. I'd guess they just eat it or split it with the insuranceco.

I went through two windshields in less than 30 days on my 2018. First one was covered by warranty because of the way the crack propagated from the inside. Second one I paid for, there was an external chip. I did not want to file a claim for $2,000 and lose my claim free discount. Windshields are often covered by your Comprehensive coverage which should not affect your rates nor your ability to get coverage. But it IS a claim, and Claim Free discounts can disappear. Probably worth a call before you file a claim.
I can’t imagine the claim free discount being that much, would it?

I also had my windshield tinted (no way I’m going to roast under that large glass right above my head) and insurance is paying for a new tint job on the replacement windshield. That itself is over $1,000 also.