Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service center just received mine the other day and is currently replacing.....they put in an order for the replacement at then end of February after performing the ghosting test and confirming it was out of spec.

Take this with a grain of salt, but the SA claimed they had received (2) others during the time frame and they were shattered pieces of glass because they were sent FEDEX in cardboard boxes..........I can only guess that these may be coming straight from the vendors and not Tesla (maybe?) because they said that they had to receive them, call to report back that they were broken, send pictures, take them out of their physical inventory at the SC, prior to be able to send in another order for a new one. I can only HOPE that this isn't the general efficiency levels that the SC's have to deal with..........

In late 2017 I waited over two months to receive a replacement windshield in the DC area. They seem to have a hard time acquiring enough inventory for replacement parts. But to be fair, it is a huge piece of glass - and shipping those around can’t be cheap. I imagine they want to hold them at distribution points and not directly in the service center inventory.

Reactions: PrGrPa
I just had the windshield replaced on my Model S last week, similar experience to the ones that have been outlined in this thread. Time from initial order to delivery of the windshield was nearly 2 months and was told that multiple windshields were received that were broken. The local service center also told me that they were taking time internally to review how Tesla glass gets shipped as this had been a large, wide-spread problem.

Sorry to hear about that long wait.

Different part, and car (Model S), but I've been waiting >1 month for a front fender/bumper and a headlamp. I suppose that there's a just in time approach taken to spare parts in the supply chain overall. I understand from the Tesla-authorised supplier that the distribution hubs are limited in number here in Europe. Most likely it will be another month before it's in.

OK, here is my saga.

1. Awful high pitched impact noise while driving passing dump truck about three weeks ago, ducked and covered face, then parked and inspected car, nothing.
2. A week later curvilinear crack appeared to the right of the camera, and expanded nicely across half the windshield, all around the camera/mirror cluster.
3. Called Tesla phone rep, said will inform SC and expect replacement in 3-4 days.
4. State Farm checked with Tesla, will have to pay OOP the $1199 then get it back minus the $100 deductible.
5. Scheduled service appt two weeks later and rescheduled about 12 appointments from that day, my staff were frantic.
6. Three days before service appt I call SC, they say no can do, no windshields around.
7. Lurked here, hit the Escalate button on the Tesla online serice page, 30 min later lady from Seattle calls to let me know she is on the ball, I get a loaner and save the 5h roundtrip to SC as they will drive it to me. ETA 3-4 weeks.
8. Surprise call a day later, Columbus SC located a windshield on truck to them. Next day call at work, rush to parking lot, swap loaner, another day and car back with new windshield, steering column recall done, and rusting liftgate strut mount replaced. As usual txt messages arrived when work started and when completed.

Car now rides like out of factory, nothing like the wobbly suspension my VAG cars developed 2-3 years into ownership. While at it they found a sticky door handle and went for it just to be sure.

Love my Model S, love Tesla and the Columbus SC!

Oopsie, X forum but relevant to topic.

Last edited:
The service center just received mine the other day and is currently replacing.....they put in an order for the replacement at then end of February after performing the ghosting test and confirming it was out of spec.

I have, what I consider, to be pretty significant ghosting. What is the ghosting spec? Is this something only the service center can check? I am in Michigan and the nearest service center is 3.5 hours away. Thanks...