Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield strength on Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.. a question. How strong are Tesla windshields?

Mine is MYP got a small stone chip at 2000 miles at 30mph and cracked instantly through the glass. 32 years driving and only ever cracked 2 windshields, in fact my Ram took a direct hit at 80mph from a rock and perfectly fine.

Today I had it replaced, no complaints and good service yet I have at least a dozen friends as Tesla owners as 10 of them have had to replace windshields, two of them twice... Makes me think there is something weak in the design here.. thoughts?

Windshields in general these days are lightweight composites that are much more prone to cracking than old heavy ones used to be. Just fact of weight savings initiatives.
Fully agree with you, just seemed strange to me that so many owners are replacing for damage compared to other vehicles. Will not stop me recommending the car, I still think it's great :)

I’ve had my Model 3 for 3-1/2 years, and the windshield is taking damage at about the same rate as my previous Honda. Hasn’t cracked yet, but the number of dings, pits, and stars is equivalent.

So.. a question. How strong are Tesla windshields?

Mine is MYP got a small stone chip at 2000 miles at 30mph and cracked instantly through the glass. 32 years driving and only ever cracked 2 windshields, in fact my Ram took a direct hit at 80mph from a rock and perfectly fine.

Today I had it replaced, no complaints and good service yet I have at least a dozen friends as Tesla owners as 10 of them have had to replace windshields, two of them twice... Makes me think there is something weak in the design here.. thoughts?

Came to this thread as my 1 week old Model Y windshield was just struck by something on the interstate. At least a 1 foot long crack down the center of the passenger side. Already have it scheduled for replacement next Monday, so hopefully can get it all put back together OK. Any issue doing a camera recalibration? Were you able to do that or is it a Tesla service item?

Came to this thread as my 1 week old Model Y windshield was just struck by something on the interstate. At least a 1 foot long crack down the center of the passenger side. Already have it scheduled for replacement next Monday, so hopefully can get it all put back together OK. Any issue doing a camera recalibration? Were you able to do that or is it a Tesla service item?

I just (as in 2 days ago) had to get my first windshield on my model 3 after owning it since dec 2018. To answer this question, Tesla told me that it auto calibrates when you drive. My insurance has a "0 deductible for glass claims" rider so theoretically this wont cost me anything (but they dont "work with" tesla so I had to pay up front and submit for reimbursement).

My insurance had a separate process for claims for "camera calibrations" so I asked tesla specifically about this and got the answer above. they dont charge for it and dont do it (camera calibration).

Of note, My experience on this was pretty positive all things considered. Happened late last friday, made appointment in the app that was going to be this friday (nov 19th). Called my SC directly monday morning (nov 15th), and asked them could they fit me in. They checked, said "we have the part, come on down" on monday morning while I was on the phone. Drove there, 15 min from my house, had my wife follow me in her car (not interested in uber credits and working from home anyway). Dropped off around 9:30am, it was done around 2pm.

I know some people have waited a while to get a windshield, but it was a great experience for me.

Tesla SC replaced mine, took all day with them, but not by climate control is jacked up... the interior temps get to about 90F inside while the outsiders about 50F, this is at night on the driveway so not heat related.. the other issue is that now I cannot adjust the air vents when climate control is in auto mode. I did some research and this came up frequently after windshield replacement. Booked in again for 12/3, SC tell me the sensor is bad so will wait and see. If it is they obviously never checked the car out before returning to me

I wonder how they handle the possibility of moisture getting into the camera section behind the windshield when the glass is off. From the factory their is no possibility of it fogging up in there even when there is lots of moisture in the car in general, what if the reverse happens, there are no defoggers for the cameras. Do they put a silica pack in there when they install new glass?