Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield can only be replaced by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 Model 3 windshield was hit by a small stone and cracks to 13 inch long. Tesla will charge me for $1466 total. They told me that only they can replace it because the Tesla windshield is not sold to any thirt party. Replacement by a thirt party may void warranty on the vehicle. Is it true?

My 2023 Model 3 windshield was hit by a small stone and cracks to 13 inch long. Tesla will charge me for $1466 total. They told me that only they can replace it because the Tesla windshield is not sold to any thirt party. Replacement by a thirt party may void warranty on the vehicle. Is it true?
As others mentioned, plenty of others have replaced it using Safelite, although they don't necessarily charge less nor do a better job. No, third party replacement can't void the whole car warranty under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. They can however blame issues with related components on an improper third party replacement of the windshield, but it would have to be related to that (for example if you have issues with something else, like for example your rear seat, obviously that is not related to your windshield replacement).

• Helpful
Reactions: FatM3 and fhteagle
I had my windshield replaced today at the Tesla service center. I called a few other places before getting a quote from Tesla. Most places just said no. In the end I had Tesla do it because their quote was $300 less than safelite and they got me in next day. This was on my 2022 Model 3.

Safelite, twice, free of charge (Progressive Auto Insurance), Saint Gobain windshield glass.
Was the glass marked with Tesla logo / markings, or only Saint Gobain (Sekurit) markings? The latter would be aftermarket glass from the OEM supplier (Saint Gobain Sekurit supplies Tesla for Model 3 windshields in the US), which is generally ok (aftermarket glass from a different supplier is more likely to have fit problems).

No, and furthermore it’s illegal.

Safelite does Tesla glass replacement in most locales.

Safelite did mine no problem, but that was in January 2020. Genuine Tesla glass and everything.
Safelite is suck. I have been waiting for them to replace my windshield for 2023 Model Y for 2 months now. When I called the guy said still waiting for approval. I'm not sure there is other places to replace Tesla windshield other than Safelite. First, they sealed my chip and within a week the chip expanded so big almost 13 inches. Any recommendations for the other place to replacement the windshield or how long I have to wait? Thanks

Safelite is suck. I have been waiting for them to replace my windshield for 2023 Model Y for 2 months now. When I called the guy said still waiting for approval. I'm not sure there is other places to replace Tesla windshield other than Safelite. First, they sealed my chip and within a week the chip expanded so big almost 13 inches. Any recommendations for the other place to replacement the windshield or how long I have to wait? Thanks
Yikes! I took a hit last Friday. My glass guys (yes, I have "glass guys"; I live in Phoenix, land of projectile-laden freeways...) will be here Monday at 8a. My carrier, Nationwide, has Safelite handle all their glass claims, but I can still choose the shop I want to use. If you can, tell SL to stuff it and go elsewhere. Good luck!

I just had my 2023 Model Y windshield replaced with PGW glass, a 3rd party replacement by a 3rd party installer. $850 in the San Francisco Bay Area where other shops quoted an average of $1500 with a high of $2200 and a low of $1280. My installer had the glass in stock and was ready to install where others were saying 8-10 week backorder.

I understand the concerns about warranty and about Tesla treating you as second-class if you have 3rd party parts, but the truth is, they treat nearly all of their Model 3/Y customers that way, so it isn't going to make a difference. As far as the quality of the glass, I've never seen a piece of automotive glass that was lower quality than my Model Y original windshield, which had as much pitting and imperfections after 2 months as other vehicles I've owned after more than 10 years, literally. The factory glass is so poor that I have no worries that PGW, which is an OEM supplier for many brands, could do any worse than Saint Gorbain. If this windshield needs replacement in one year, it will have still outperformed the Tesla glass for half the cost.

The installers did an excellent job, the fit is perfect, gaps are more even than factory, no wind noise or leakage issues. The glass is stamped "Acoustic Glass" and had labels referring to its strict compliance with OEM standards for advanced driver assistance features. I re-calibrated the cameras using the button in the center screen, though it didn't seem that they needed it. Autosteer is working flawlessly, even in very heavy rain at night. Rain sensing is working better than ever. With the stock windshield it would put the wipers on high for the slightest mist and leave them running long after the glass was dry, now it selects a speed and interval that is appropriate for the conditions, and adjusts it as needed. One physical difference I noticed was that the defroster lines for the camera area are different, on the original glass it was two rectangular boxes, on the PGW glass it is just straight horizontal lines. I checked all three front facing camera previews and the lines are not visible unless you put the hood up, which shortens the focal distance enough that you start to see a faintly darkened line across the white hood in one of the three cameras. This completely disappears as soon as you put the hood down and focus on something in front of the bumper or further. I never checked the front camera previews with the original glass, but it should have had the same artifact, just with two vertical lines down the middle instead of horizontal lines.

They can’t void your warranty, but they could reasonably claim that any camera/DAS/harness damage that they find in the future is related to a 3rd party glass replacement. There’s a suite of sensitive cameras above the rear view mirror.
no more sensitive than ANY of the other cameras on any modern car. I have had tesla replace and safelight replace with no issue. Pro Tip: get 0 deductible glass coverage (its cheap) call your insurance company and file a claim, my insurance company says a tesla windshield costs 1800 to repair and sends me a check even tho tesla says 1400 they say were sending you the check. I pocket $400

Reactions: afadeev
As far as the quality of the glass, I've never seen a piece of automotive glass that was lower quality than my Model Y original windshield, which had as much pitting and imperfections after 2 months as other vehicles I've owned after more than 10 years, literally. The factory glass is so poor that I have no worries that PGW, which is an OEM supplier for many brands, could do any worse than Saint Gorbain. If this windshield needs replacement in one year, it will have still outperformed the Tesla glass for half the cost.

Autosteer is working flawlessly, even in very heavy rain at night.
I heard from a good source recently that SafeLite glass is cheap / low quality. Tesla glass must be several steps below that. I have more pitting, deeper pits and a crack in 1 year than I have ever had in any vehicle I have owned for anywhere from 4 to 10 years.

If Autosteer is working flawlessly, that must me a huge step up. I can't say that Autosteer works flawlessly on a clear day.

Reactions: YisPatHere
heard from a good source recently that SafeLite glass is cheap / low quality.

Safelite normally uses aftermarket glass unless OEM is the only thing available. For a previous car (not Tesla) that I got a windshield replaced, they used a Fuyao windshield. Fuyao also made the OEM windshield. The replacement looked the same except for the markings in the corner (no car company branding, just Fuyao branding).

The Tesla OEM glass made by Saint Gobain Sekurit seems to get damaged easily by rocks. So far, two windshield chips and one roof glass chip in a little over two years. The two windshield ones I managed to find before they caused cracks, so I filled them with windshield repair resin. The roof glass cracked before I noticed.

Reactions: YisPatHere