Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield tinting for heat rejection without rainbow effect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got xpel xr plus on my model y and I immediately noticed the rainbow effect when wearing my sunglasses on my way home from the tint shop. I don't mind it but it's like seeing the world in technicolor for sure. No issues when not wearing sunglasses
Ugh, that's not good. I've seen a number of posters who stated they did NOT have the rainbow effect while wearing polarized sunglasses. I have 3M Crystalline 70% on two of my vehicles and they certainly do have a rainbow effect as well as a bluish tint.

For those that want to really evaluate the heat rejection performance of window film, look at the Total Solar Heat Rejection value (TSER).

3M Crystalline TSER at 70% = 50%
XPEL Prime XR Plus at 70% = 49%

3M Crystalline TSER at 40% = 60%
XPEL Prime XR Plus TSER at 35% = 59%

As you can see, moving to a much darker tint doesn't necessarily give you that much more heat rejection. The difference of TSER going from 70% to 35-40% tint is about 10%. 10% is not insignificant, but IMO it's not a game changer.

For those of us in California, tint is technically illegal. Since OEM glass already has some tint (dye) in it, a 70% tint is additive and will darken the light transmissibility to a level below the legal limit. However if your rear windows are darker and the front at 70%, the hope is most cops will leave you alone.

Also as someone who had really dark tint on my rear windows in the past, dark tint really makes it much more difficult to see out at night.

Therefore I'm likely to go with a 70% tint all around including the windshield this go round. The existing oem dyed rear side and hatch windows will make the 70% tint appear darker in the rear. That will help it look like the front is near clear and will draw less attention. Also the smallish 10% increase in TSER going to a much darker tint, won't make that much of a difference.

The problem is I need to find a tint that won't cause rainbows when I wear polarized sunglasses.

Can anyone post pics of what 75%ish windshield and 50% front windows looks like? Just curious as to how dark is too dark.
I know you're asking for pics but I don't have my car nearby at the moment. From what I have seen, the passenger windows comes stock around 20-25% VLT. I think most SUV's and minivans will have stock rear windows anywhere from 20-50%. 70% looks clear just like stock front windows/windshield - it's to the point where most people won't notice it's even tinted unless seeing a side by side comparison of clear glass vs 70%.