Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just tinted all my windows on my MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my MYP fully tinted! Went with the XPEL Prime XR Plus

Went with the following shades:

Windshield - 55%
Front Sides - 20%
Back Sides - 70%
Rear - 70%
Sunroof - 70%

Went light for the back windows since they were already dark from factory. So the 70% helped match the 20% front sides.

IMG_7300.jpeg
IMG_7303.jpeg
IMG_7302.jpeg
IMG_7307.jpeg
IMG_7310.jpeg
IMG_7301.jpeg
IMG_7304.jpeg
IMG_7304.jpeg

Safety and visibility are not affected. When you sit on the inside there is a softer feel, but you don’t even notice the tint.
In low light levels I would think visibility must be affected, the tint allows less light through the glass. Help me understand how tint doesn't affect the amount of light that passes through. I thought that was the raison d'être for tinting in the first place.

Reactions: KMC_307
In low light levels I would think visibility must be affected, the tint allows less light through the glass. Help me understand how tint doesn't affect the amount of light that passes through. I thought that was the raison d'être for tinting in the first place.
I do a lot of driving in the morning before daylight, about 50% of my driving is at night. Visibility from the outside in vs the inside out are totally different. I have 50% on the windshield and from the inside you wouldn’t know I have any tint.

Can’t explain it. You need to ride with someone who has tinted windows.

For the record I think tinted windows look good, but the real reason I tinted my windows is because when I visit the dermatologist they freeze spots on my left arm and left side of face.

Unfortunately you can’t break the laws of physics.

1) It isn’t a one way tint, it blocks light in both directions. Any tint that blocks visible light reduces visibility in dim light, and some things that are just barely visible without tint will be invisible with tint.

2) Regular glass blocks all UV except for a small portion of UVA, and Tesla’s glass coatings pick up the remaining UVA. UVB, which causes skin cancer, is completely blocked by regular glass. Tint adds nothing for this.

Sunroof - 70%
What's most amazing to me is that you managed a "sunroof" in your Model Y :) I'm jealous. Who's your installer? :) Still one of the best OG Model S features.

But let's be honest. A sunroof isn't good enough. Neither is a moonroof. I'm wanting my entire roof to somehow recline/disappear into the trunk with a button so that I effectively have a Model Y convertible :)

Gorgeous pics, btw @Terry Ly - thanks for sharing. Looks like you crafted the same solution I have for my radar detector... but I have to say I do prefer the MagBak Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 and Model Y phone mount... it's so clean...