Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wipers on less than a year old Model X were completely warped leaving huge steaks. Called Tesla and got a mobile tech. Car was not at the house so he just dropped the new wipers and I installed them. Then they call me asking for payment. I told them I thought it was a warranty replacement. After a while I get that they will “Goodwill it”. Thanks I guess. But is it a warranty item? Original wiper lasted less than a year. When I had my BMW M3 they replaced it without any questions.

I dunno. I expect wiper blades to last 6 months and am not really surprised if they only last 3. It's a bit of rubber exposed to all manner of elements, sunlight, ozone, etc. I think in general they aren't considered to be a warranty item at all, but if they wore out in a month it might get covered. A year? Not likely I would expect.

Just curious, how much did they want for them? I'm surprised they actually dropped them off rather than mailing, but I guess they were going to put them on.

I love Tesla as a company and I love the car. But none of the people I spoke with knew if it’s a warranty item. They all thought it should be but there was also a bill. I feel at the end the person I woke with just didn’t know and comped it. There are contradictory opinions on the forum. I just want to know, I don’t like to feel like they did me a favor. Model X wiper is pretty unique.

I don't quite understand why things that would be subject to normal wear and tear would ever be considered to be 'warranty' items...

I have never thought that wiper blades are the responsibility of the manufacturer to keep in good working order. If this is the school of thought, then why not go for warranty tire replacement, brake pads, etc, if you don't believe they lasted as long as they 'should'?

In my overly extensive driving career, I have had wiper blades last as long as 15(ish) months... and as little as about 3 months. Heat and sun are wiper blades' nemesis. As is road grit. The manufacturer has no control over these things.

One year is not in the least bit unacceptable, IMO.

In regards to another post: There are literally thousands of items on our Teslas that are "unique to Tesla". That doesn't make every one of them covered under warranty, unless specifically stated in the warranty terms. I don't understand that statement. If I'm wrong, please share! ;)

But hey... if you can get Tesla to give you replacements... then go for it.

Reactions: sjokomelk