Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers and auto headlights in rain Model S refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first experience in torrential downpour today on the highway in Orlando. The windshield wiper performance is terrible! I thought it was not going fast enough on auto so I turned it up manually to the max speed and it was still way too slow to see the road.

It was also in the afternoon so for some reason my headlights didn't come on. Turning them on manually takes several button presses which is hard enough to do while driving but especially when it's raining extremely hard and you can't see. Why don't they come on automatically when it's raining? I saw other Tesla's at that time and their headlights were all off.

Hopefully software can fix the slow wipers as well as the lack of headlights in the rain.

Those who live in states that require headlights with the wipers on should report this issue to the NHTSA, as well as open a service ticket with Tesla stating the legal requirement. It should be automatic, but auto-headlights are still in Beta after several years.

Reactions: d1ez3
"torrential downpour"

I have never owned a vehicle that cleared the windshield in a torrential downpour. We also live in Florida.

I use Michelin Endurance XT Silicone or Bosch Focus Silicone wiper blades. I believe our 2020 MSP came with Bosch blades if I am not mistaken, but not sure what model and if they are rubber or silicone.

IMHO - Frameless silicone is the way to go.

M

Had my first experience in torrential downpour today on the highway in Orlando. The windshield wiper performance is terrible! I thought it was not going fast enough on auto so I turned it up manually to the max speed and it was still way too slow to see the road.

It was also in the afternoon so for some reason my headlights didn't come on. Turning them on manually takes several button presses which is hard enough to do while driving but especially when it's raining extremely hard and you can't see. Why don't they come on automatically when it's raining? I saw other Tesla's at that time and their headlights were all off.

Hopefully software can fix the slow wipers as well as the lack of headlights in the rain.
I have similar experiences with Tesla wiper during downpours, it is slower than other cars that I owned before and enough to annoys me, I don’t remember the state of the headlight at those moments. Using better blades may help.

It's a hybrid. "The Icon utilizes Bosch's proprietary ClearMax 365 dual-rubber technology. The blade component of the wiper features a soft rubber core protected by a harder silicone shell, enhancing durability in the face of weather- and use-related deterioration."