Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,
II noticed some unexpected behaviour today. I was driving on AP, and although it was raining, the windshield wipers remained off. When I checked, they were indeed "off", as opposed to in "auto" mode where they also might not do anything if the camera decides that there is not enough rain.

I am actually very happy with that since I use Aquapel and rarely ever use the wipers.

What I found weird though is that the UI showed the "cannot turn off while Autopilot is active" message while the car was on AP with the wipers clearly turned off. Has anyone else observed this? My current software version is 2023.32.6.

Attachments

• 20231006_135506.jpg
    20231006_135506.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 196
Interesting. Could just be a UI display bug and it’s still on auto.

Would probably need to test in rain to fully confirm. Even if they stay off, I’d be surprised if Tesla didn’t change that back in a future update…

I cannot say whether Auto wipers are no longer mandatory when using AP, but if auto wipers ARE still "auto" on AP, they've gotten MUCH better. I can't recall the last time I had a dry wipe.

Unfortunately, it has been a while since I have seen any rain so who am I to say?

OMG. I can't stand it anymore. I turn on FSD on a dry Sea to Sky Hwy and the wipers go as fast as they possibly can for a good 30 seconds or so. They will continue to come on randomly, sometimes only one swipe, but sometimes full speed!. I have to get out of FSD as it drives me crazy! Then today in the rain, with the FSD turned on they will not come on until I can't see anymore and I have to give a tap of the wiper stalk.
Worst feature I can think of in my MYP, auto wipers can't be turned off in FSD!!!

Reactions: MarkoP
OMG. I can't stand it anymore. I turn on FSD on a dry Sea to Sky Hwy and the wipers go as fast as they possibly can for a good 30 seconds or so. They will continue to come on randomly, sometimes only one swipe, but sometimes full speed!. I have to get out of FSD as it drives me crazy! Then today in the rain, with the FSD turned on they will not come on until I can't see anymore and I have to give a tap of the wiper stalk.
Worst feature I can think of in my MYP, auto wipers can't be turned off in FSD!!!
  1. Are you sure you're current with the updates? I'm on 2023.32.7 (and the latest is 2023.38.6) and the wipers have been MUCH better for a couple of updates now.
  2. A bit pedantic, but it isn't FSD that is triggering it; it is AP

Ok - but 2023.38.6 is still a newer version than 2023.32.7.

Even if FSD Beta functionality is totally separate from auto-wipers, it's still possible that 2023.38.6 made improvements to wipers that are not present in 2023.32.7.

Ok - but 2023.38.6 is still a newer version than 2023.32.7.

Even if FSD Beta functionality is totally separate from auto-wipers, it's still possible that 2023.38.6 made improvements to wipers that are not present in 2023.32.7.
I think you missed something in my post above:
  1. I (my car) is on 2023.32.7. I was stating that the improvements came even before this version - I have noticed significant improvement (virtually no false wipes) with the update before 2023.32.7
  2. I noted for completeness that 2023.38.6 is the LATEST firmware update. I do not have this version yet have: I am always at the end of the update cycle since I am not regularly on WiFi (I connect and download updates via my phone's hotspot when I get notified of an update). It is possible that 2023.38.6 (which is indeed newer) has further improvements over 2023.32.7, but I personally feel that 2023.32.7 is sufficiently improved on the wipers.

I am currently on 2023.27.7 and FSD v11.4.7.3 and the auto wipers are terrible. They go on in dry weather and are useless in bad weather. Just made the drive from NY to Florida and I am very disappointed. They don't go on in the rain !

Meanwhile, I am on software version 2023.32.9 (basic AP only) with the wipers still off while on AP, and the car is offering to download and install 2023.38.6.
Can anyone confirm or deny that the auto wipers will still remain off while using AP with that software version? I'm hesitant to update as I don't want the auto wipers forced on me again.