Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter milage, does this feel right?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I am a relative new model 3 owner, and I have been wondering what should be expecting for the real driving mileages in the winter time.

Right now my car is showing 100miles since last charge, and only 30 miles left. I always hechsege to 90 percent. So the difference could be around 100 miles?

I do use seat heater. And AC was on.

The repeated cabin heating of short trips will soak up a huge amount of range. Just yesterday I documented for another thread that my Model S consumed nearly triple rated miles over the course of a day where my longest trip was under 8 miles.
Seat heater consumes range but is not bad for range. Warm seat lets you likely set the air temp lower which saves power overall.

This is not well explained up front and many of the koolaid drinkers from warm climates practically deny it is a thing.

If subzero I have seen energy use triple in the actual dash display not just in real miles consumed.
Longer trips don't exhibit the same level of range consumption because once the cabin is warm it is elatively easy to maintain.

Hopefully you can charge at home nightly and will get used to it. The instant heat is awesome vs. waiting for ICE to warm up.

I am near Green Bay and while I haven't actually documented a whole month or anything I can make a pretty solid case for not saving a dime vs. ICE come winter here, other three seasons sure but not winter. I only point it out because too many people tout "savings" as a reason to buy an expensive car.

Hi guys,

I am a relative new model 3 owner, and I have been wondering what should be expecting for the real driving mileages in the winter time.

Right now my car is showing 100miles since last charge, and only 30 miles left. I always hechsege to 90 percent. So the difference could be around 100 miles?

Which model? The SR+? Your car uses electricity when it's not moving. So, 100 driven miles, plus 30 remaining miles, plus how many miles used keeping the battery warm, and the electronics on.

Hi guys,

You can expect at least 30% loss in range in cooler temperatures. Going 75 mph also adds probably 15% loss.

It will get better when the temperatures warm up.

The repeated cabin heating of short trips will soak up a huge amount of range. Just yesterday I documented for another thread that my Model S consumed nearly triple rated miles over the course of a day where my longest trip was under 8 miles.
Seat heater consumes range but is not bad for range. Warm seat lets you likely set the air temp lower which saves power overall.

This is not well explained up front and many of the koolaid drinkers from warm climates practically deny it is a thing.

If subzero I have seen energy use triple in the actual dash display not just in real miles consumed.
Longer trips don't exhibit the same level of range consumption because once the cabin is warm it is elatively easy to maintain.

Hopefully you can charge at home nightly and will get used to it. The instant heat is awesome vs. waiting for ICE to warm up.

I am near Green Bay and while I haven't actually documented a whole month or anything I can make a pretty solid case for not saving a dime vs. ICE come winter here, other three seasons sure but not winter. I only point it out because too many people tout "savings" as a reason to buy an expensive car.
Well, I see your point, however it is a bit extreme to say that you don't save money versus ICE during winter. For the record, I live in Montreal where Winter are not really mild. In the Summer I use 4% of my battery to go to work, in the Winter 5%.
Yes, in the case of multiple stops it gets worse. But still, what i spend on energy is nowhere close to what i used to spend on gas.