Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
While I'm sure Tesla will put together a winter tire package for Model X like they have for Model S, I'm likely going to look elsewhere for winter tires.

I'm a huge fan of Nokian tires in general and their winter tires specifically. I'm unlikely to want studded tires for the X because it'll mostly be driven on dry/wet pavement around town and only in snow on weekend ski trips. It doesn't seem like the Hakkpellita R2(or however that's written) studs less is available for the 20" size for Model X. http://www.nokiantires.com/non-studded-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/I wonder if there's a slightly narrower version that might work. Maybe a different tire? Maybe go with the studded anyway? http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8-suv/

Last edited:
While I'm sure Tesla will put together a winter tire package for Model X like they have for Model S, I'm likely going to look elsewhere for winter tires.

I'm a huge fan of Nokian tires in general and their winter tires specifically. I'm unlikely to want studded tires for the X because it'll mostly be driven on dry/wet pavement around town and only in snow on weekend ski trips. It doesn't seem like the Hakkpellita R2(or however that's written) studs less is available for the 20" size for Model X. http://www.nokiantires.com/non-studded-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-suv/I wonder if there's a slightly narrower version that might work. Maybe a different tire? Maybe go with the studded anyway? http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-8-suv/
The 245/50 R20 should work. The difference in total wheel diameter should be around 6.5 mm, which is completely insignificant.

Narrower wheels is also good in winter. It means higher ground pressure, which means the wheels dig in more on slippery surfaces. The weight rating is the only question, but a total of 3800 kg or 8360 lb should be enough. The weight distribution should be close to 50/50, and if the Model X has a total allowable weight over 3500 kg, you wouldn't be allowed to drive it on a standard license here. I doubt it will be that heavy. (The Model S is at around 2600 kg max allowable, so the X shouldn't be much above 3000 kg.)

Last edited:
Narrower wheels is also good in winter. It means higher ground pressure, which means the wheels dig in more on slippery surfaces.
Narrower is better but not because of the ground pressure, which is equal to the inflation pressure. The reason is because the contact patch is longer so more "rows" of tread blocks are in contact with the ground.

Narrower is better but not because of the ground pressure, which is equal to the inflation pressure. The reason is because the contact patch is longer so more "rows" of tread blocks are in contact with the ground.
Hmm, you may be right. I was thinking the tires would maintain the same shape, but that is only true if you increase the inflation pressure.

I can see reasons why a narrower patch would be better than a wider patch, even if the area is the same. A narrower patch will displace water and snow in a smaller area as it moves forward, for one thing.

Hmm, you may be right. I was thinking the tires would maintain the same shape, but that is only true if you increase the inflation pressure.

I can see reasons why a narrower patch would be better than a wider patch, even if the area is the same. A narrower patch will displace water and snow in a smaller area as it moves forward, for one thing.

Yeah, it's a shape thing, not a pressure thing.

But is there a significant snow performance difference between a 245 and a 265? We're talking about 2cm narrower, right?

But is there a significant snow performance difference between a 245 and a 265? We're talking about 2cm narrower, right?
Probably not a huge difference. But there's certainly a difference between using WRG3s and R2s. ;)

Of course, it's also possible that Tesla can make a deal with Nokian that they start making the R2 in 265/45 R20. Nokian will likely do that in a heartbeat if they think the demand is there.

There might be. There is more to it than just the shape--and there will be more than 2 cm difference in tread width. The 245 and 265 are nominal numbers for the widest part of the tire. Additional information between the two tires would be required.

Probably not a huge difference. But there's certainly a difference between using WRG3s and R2s. ;)

Of course, it's also possible that Tesla can make a deal with Nokian that they start making the R2 in 265/45 R20. Nokian will likely do that in a heartbeat if they think the demand is there.

That would be awesome. The reality is that my wife has limited patience for automotive things and I don't think that she'll enjoy swapping tires seasonally. I'm probably better off just putting the WRs on there and calling it a day. I'll be interested to see how they hold up to Tesla-like torque.

- - - Updated - - -

There might be. There is more to it than just the shape--and there will be more than 2 cm difference in tread width. The 245 and 265 are nominal numbers for the widest part of the tire. Additional information between the two tires would be required.

How would one come by this information? I'm probably going to have to order a set of tires from the local Nokian dealer without getting a chance to sit there and measure the tread.