Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire package from Tesla vs aftermarket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For winter tyre/wheel package, I got quotes from KAL Tire for MYLR and total pricing (with Tesla TPMS) is in the same ballpark as the Tesla's own package for the same type of tires (on 19" wheels).
Is there a reason (apart from cosmetic) you would buy an aftermarket package if you want one of the tires already offered by Tesla (Michelin or Pirelli)

In what way are the aftermarket alloy wheels superior to the 19" Gemini ones?
In the same thought, the Gemini wheels are supposedly very susceptible to curb rash. Is this not a problem with aftermarket wheels?

Still waiting for my delivery (Dec), so can the present owners chip in?

I want the Michelins too, they have been out of stock forever at Tesla Canada. And they do cost 3700 at Tesla, but you are getting the OEM wheel as well.
Tesla with tax is $4181 compared to $3,300 all in at Spence. About $800 worth of savings and the Replika R241 look fantastic as well (I prefer over the OEM wheel).

I've been doing winter tire research over the weekend. Let me know what else you find.

Good for you, plus the Michelins are on sale this week. Unfortunately I cannot buy now, as the car is coming in December!
On another note, are you toying with the idea of an 18" wheel to have better grip and softer ride in the winter?
I thought about 18s for the reasons you mentioned (not to mention the lower cost as well) but honestly didn't want to deal with compatibility issues, including range estimates and whatnot. This is my first EV and rather not rock the boat.

Reactions: xcyber
FYI:

In the past, Tesla was reluctant to swap tires or roadside assistance for non-Tesla packages. I think they've gotten better about it. Had a tire problem on a MY LR about a month or so ago and Tesla service beat the heck out of Active Green and Ross who wanted to replace all 4 tires for one damaged one (supposedly because of it being all-wheel drive). I also called KalTire who wanted to do a minimum of 2. The tires have about 17K on them and still have about 7-8/32nds on them. Bought the 20" package from Spence - same as above @Psyy . Just make sure you don't lose the nuts as they charged me $80 just for that.

I bought a set of wheels/tires/sensors from pmctire.com. They have the bluetooth sensors. For my M3P it was about $2800 for 18" wheels and X-Ice Snow tires. Only regret is the M3P and 18" wheels is a snug fit and I wish I had gotten 19".

Service was great from pmctire though I would recommend them to anyone.

I bought a set of wheels/tires/sensors from pmctire.com. They have the bluetooth sensors. For my M3P it was about $2800 for 18" wheels and X-Ice Snow tires. Only regret is the M3P and 18" wheels is a snug fit and I wish I had gotten 19".

Service was great from pmctire though I would recommend them to anyone.
What do you mean by snug fit? The final total radius (wheel + tire) is same no matter what the wheel size is.
Did you mean the fit of the brake callipers?

Another question - pmctire.com only ships the wheels/tires. You have to get them installed on the vehicle on your own - right?
Or do they have installation shops in the GTA?

Last edited:
What do you mean by snug fit? The final total radius (wheel + tire) is same no matter what the wheel size is.
Did you mean the fit of the brake callipers?

Another question - pmctire.com only ships the wheels/tires. You have to get them installed on the vehicle on your own - right?
Or do they have installation shops in the GTA?
Yes the snug fit is around the brake calipers. Of course the total diameter is the same. My wheel weights were rubbing on the 18s I had to move to static balance (which is fine).

The wheels come mounted on rims. I just change them myself.