Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires For Sale - Pirelli SottoZero 235/45/R18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered from Tesla and they come with the rims - Pirelli SottoZero Winter 240 Serie2, 235/45/R18, 8,000 miles. $800.

I'm moving to a warm climate. Tires available in Rockville, MD, for pickup.

20210729_164126.jpg
20210729_164139.jpg

How did you feel about these tires in DC winters? Theres a decent chance I end up there in the next year or so, and I've been debating between getting the Pirelli's or something a little less aggressive like the WR G4. Here in Ohio the performance winters make sense, but down "south" in DC, I'm worried they'd be a waste.

@thefrog1394 I'll give you my 2 cents on DC weather over the last 13ish years living/driving around the area. Since I've lived here, half of the years there has been little to no noticeable snow at all. Once there was a major ice storm that shut everything down (the listed tires would have been great). I was on summer tires at the point and it was a complete no-go. There was also a period where there was a ton of snow and left things pretty shut down. Unless you live off of the beaten path, you're pretty much set on even all-seasons year-round, as the major roads are generally well treated and plowed. One benefit of the listed tires however is the snow plows really tear up the roads here in the winter, so having more rubber on the wheel can help you. I was driving in bethesda on effectively the same wheel setup as the 19" sport after some snow plow, and the roads were so bad I was convinced I had bent all of the rims.

I also had a Hyundai Genesis RWD on Pilot Sport AS3+ that struggled with loose snow uphill on unplowed roads, but similar all-seasons on AWD had no issues at all.

Reactions: thefrog1394
@thefrog1394 I'll give you my 2 cents on DC weather over the last 13ish years living/driving around the area. Since I've lived here, half of the years there has been little to no noticeable snow at all. Once there was a major ice storm that shut everything down (the listed tires would have been great). I was on summer tires at the point and it was a complete no-go. There was also a period where there was a ton of snow and left things pretty shut down. Unless you live off of the beaten path, you're pretty much set on even all-seasons year-round, as the major roads are generally well treated and plowed. One benefit of the listed tires however is the snow plows really tear up the roads here in the winter, so having more rubber on the wheel can help you. I was driving in bethesda on effectively the same wheel setup as the 19" sport after some snow plow, and the roads were so bad I was convinced I had bent all of the rims.

I also had a Hyundai Genesis RWD on Pilot Sport AS3+ that struggled with loose snow uphill on unplowed roads, but similar all-seasons on AWD had no issues at all.
Yea, The AS3+ suck in snow (I used them as my "Summer" tires on my BMW). Thanks for the input (and sorry to derail your thread @LightningLu)

No problem on derailing for a bit, it's a great discussion and one I can offer an opinion on:

I don't buy/use winter tires for the snow, I buy/use them for the cold. Winter tires dramatically outperform all-season 45 deg and below, which we get plenty of in DC/MD. Google the research and you'll find plenty, but here's one source: An argument for buying winter tires

Tires are where the rubber meets the road, so they are always a priority for me, but especially with a high-performance car like the Model 3.
I find it fast and easy to switch from summer to winter, and enjoy the opportunity to rotate and inspect the tires.
I especially enjoy when there is a good snow and the roads are not plowed, and I see the trucks and SUVs pulled over stuck in the snow, and my RWD is gliding along to the ski slopes on my winter tires. It also helps me preserve my summer tires and rims. Altogether a win/win.

I'm moving to Hawaii, so no more skiing.

I ordered from Tesla and they come with the rims - Pirelli SottoZero Winter 240 Serie2, 235/45/R18, 8,000 miles. $800.

I'm moving to a warm climate. Tires available in Rockville, MD, for pickup.

View attachment 695333View attachment 695334
These come mounted on the rims with the aero covers, and the Conti TPM. Tread depths are 10, 10, 9, 8, and the pictures of the tread depth measurement is below. No road rash.

Attachments

• depth 8.jpg
    depth 8.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 36
  • depth 9.jpg
    depth 9.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 39
  • depth 10 2.jpg
    depth 10 2.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 37
  • depth 10.jpg
    depth 10.jpg