Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires...Model 3 Vancouver Island

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I have an M3LR+. Time to start thinking of winter tires. What do others do? Go to Kaltire (or others) and get them to switch out the tires on the rims? Or if you buy the Tesla winter tire and wheel package - who fits them ? I'm up Island with only mobile service - not sure how they'd balance the wheels ?!?

Hi all

I have an M3LR+. Time to start thinking of winter tires. What do others do? Go to Kaltire (or others) and get them to switch out the tires on the rims? Or if you buy the Tesla winter tire and wheel package - who fits them ? I'm up Island with only mobile service - not sure how they'd balance the wheels ?!?
There are lots of options to consider. For our Model 3 we had some Nokian winter tires mounted and balanced on the factory rims (at Kal Tire) for the first winter. (By then we had some curb rash on the original rims and it made sense to relegate those to being winter rims.) In the spring we bought an second set of Tesla rims and had the factory tires mounted and balanced by Kal Tire.

Getting the second set of rims was not straightforward. They do not show on the Tesla website but can be purchased through Tesla Service in Vancouver or Langley. Shipping tends to be pretty expensive and I ended up driving down to Vancouver to pick them up.

Reading threads on this website it seems the Nokian or Michelin winter tires are popular choices, perhaps more so than the brands offered by Tesla.

Something to consider is jack pads to protect the car when it is being jacked or put on a hoist. These days most larger tire shops probably know about putting Teslas on a hoist but it doesn't hurt to ask. (Back in 2018 I took my jack pads to Kal Tire and explained their use.)

There are lots of options to consider. For our Model 3 we had some Nokian winter tires mounted and balanced on the factory rims (at Kal Tire) for the first winter. (By then we had some curb rash on the original rims and it made sense to relegate those to being winter rims.) In the spring we bought an second set of Tesla rims and had the factory tires mounted and balanced by Kal Tire.

Getting the second set of rims was not straightforward. They do not show on the Tesla website but can be purchased through Tesla Service in Vancouver or Langley. Shipping tends to be pretty expensive and I ended up driving down to Vancouver to pick them up.

Reading threads on this website it seems the Nokian or Michelin winter tires are popular choices, perhaps more so than the brands offered by Tesla.

Something to consider is jack pads to protect the car when it is being jacked or put on a hoist. These days most larger tire shops probably know about putting Teslas on a hoist but it doesn't hurt to ask. (Back in 2018 I took my jack pads to Kal Tire and explained their use.)
thanks - useful info !

I too bought the Tesla rims for my 2018 Model 3 LR. As mentioned, had to call in for the rims.
I had Michelin X-Ice on my Bolt. Good snows with a good record on Consumer Reports.
I got a deal on Continentals and saved lots. 3 winters and still good.
I had the same thing in mind. Put snows on any rims that may have curb rash. Did this with my Volvo V70R.
I also have the pucks for the car. I used them at Kaltire to do the install.
If shopping for tires, Kaltire is good at matching price.