Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tires needed for a MYP March delivery in Boston?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I've got a MYP on order with a late Feb/mid-March delivery date.

I'd really like to wait until next Fall to get a set of Winter tires, but I read all of the warnings about damaging Summer tires when temperatures are below 40.

Do I really need to wait until April to be safe? Has anyone else dealt with this?

I’m not a snowy winter state, but Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 are available that fit the performance 21” wheels (265 in front). They’re highly rated for snow for all seasons. I can say they performed extremely well in the rain. Tirerack.com can get them delivered to a local top tier shop in your area in usually 2-3 days. If the temps are below 40, I would switch them out immediately just to avoid damaging the OEM Pirelli P Zero. Tirerack.com also sells winter tire packages.

Hey all,

I'd really like to wait until next Fall to get a set of Winter tires, but I read all of the warnings about damaging Summer tires when temperatures are below 40.

Do I really need to wait until April to be safe? Has anyone else dealt with this?
if you like i am selling my OEM 19inch Gemini wheels and tires complete with tpms 50miles on them so practically brand new i am in NYC we can meet in the Middle if you like to pick them up $2100

if you like i am selling my OEM 19inch Gemini wheels and tires complete with tpms 50miles on them so practically brand new i am in NYC we can meet in the Middle if you like to pick them up $2100
What wheels did you swap out to? I'm about to pull the trigger on a MY and am not sure if I should get the stock Gemini's and then spend the $2k on aftermarket wheels. Or just get the Inductions, but I'd like something better for the winter. I'm in NY also.

Take a look at the Vredestein Quatrac Pro UHP all seasons. These are fantastic tires! Well known in Europe and now making good traction in the US. I've installed them on both 18's and 20's for my Model 3 Performance and the best thing about them is they are DEAD SILENT. No other tire compares and I've tried many different ones. That, and they provide excellent traction in snow, ice, rain and dry grip in summer. I couldn't be happier! They also do not have the "V" shaped tread pattern like many of the new gen winter or all seasons. That V shape creates additional road noise that most ICE cars can't hear, but in a Tesla it is very noticeable especially if you have negative camber with modified suspension like me. Hope it helps! Tire Rack in the US posted a stellar review on them as well. Note that the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is the old version and being discontinues. The Quatrac Pro is the one to get and comes in the bigger sizes up to 22 inch. Also many Model S users with large rims have put these on and you can find posts/threads in the forums here as well.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Gaige and Puma2020
What wheels did you swap out to? I'm about to pull the trigger on a MY and am not sure if I should get the stock Gemini's and then spend the $2k on aftermarket wheels. Or just get the Inductions, but I'd like something better for the winter. I'm in NY also.
i have the inductions with
I have MYP and have the inductions 275&255 YOKOHAMA PARADA SPEC X which working good also in the winter 10k mile on them already if i had my own Grage where i could keep extra set i would keep the 21" for summer and 19" for winter

I am still using the stock 19" Gemini's that were on the car when I picked it up in late June.
No issues this winter (so far). If you are an experienced winter driver, they work fine.
Plus the road crews in this area, understand how to keep the roads clear during and after a storm.
My daughter is now in Texas and was surprised how poorly they cleared to roads after that big storm.
Just past 5,000 miles, so didn't do as much driving as I'd like due to some pandemic around here.

Hey all,

Know you said you wanted to wait until fall for winter tires...I have a set for sale. Used 1 winter w/TPMS, $1300. They are great in snow and recommend - they were on my 2020 MY, but selling it. They are Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA R3 245/35R21 front & 265/35R21 rear. Also in the Boston area...