Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's fairly unconventional to use the same set of rims for summer and winter tires. If you can afford it get another set of rims, preferably 19" or even less if they fit over the performance brakes(original 18" aero's did not, I'm not sure about today).

As far as winter tires, Blizzak or X-Ice, and I'm sure someone will chime in with Hakkapelita or Nokian too. I usually get my tires from Costco or Tire rack. One set of tires from Costco will usually save you more than the value of a Costco membership. If you are getting new non-tesla rims at the same time and they have appropriate TPMS sensors available, tirerack will mount your winter tires before shipping.

I have X-Ice3's on Stacy's Mom(or I will in two months) but I think they have been superseded by X-Ice Snow.

PS. Maybe check www.car-part.com for used Tesla rims. There's an enormous variety of pricing.

Last edited:
storage for seasonal tires
I don't think that's offered in my area. How did you find out about it? I can find no information on the interweb.

I got three of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058BMNVU/?th=1 and store three sets of tires about eight feet off the floor in my garage. Its a little bit of a pain in the butt to move 600 pounds of tires up and down twice a year, but not that bad. I like being able to change them almost anytime.

It also wouldn't work well if you didn't have stupidly high rafters(like 11' in my case), although 9' (with a ~6.5' rack height) would make loading/unloading much easier. Two of my racks are hidden above one of my garage doors and therefore way out of the way. The third is right next to that same garage door on a side wall.

I
I don't think that's offered in my area. How did you find out about it? I can find no information on the interweb.

I got three of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058BMNVU/?th=1 and store three sets of tires about eight feet off the floor in my garage. Its a little bit of a pain in the butt to move 600 pounds of tires up and down twice a year, but not that bad. I like being able to change them almost anytime.

It also wouldn't work well if you didn't have stupidly high rafters(like 11' in my case), although 9' (with a ~6.5' rack height) would make loading/unloading much easier. Two of my racks are hidden above one of my garage doors and therefore way out of the way. The third is right next to that same garage door on a side wall.
I guess you have to ask your local Costco about storage.

I live in apartment, it has a shared garage, not individual ones, so the only option is a third party storage

I picked up a winter set up of rims and tires. I went with 19x8.5 Curva Concepts C44 Gloss Gunmetal from Element Wheels and had them put on 235/40/19 Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus. They also put on the Telsa TPMS sensors. You could just buy rims and then buy tires from Costco if they offer storage. I have a local shop that works on German cars and they were willing to hold my off season set up for free.

What is the main reason for getting both rims and tires, and not just tires?
Side note: with Amazon Prime Day in effect, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058BMNVU?th=1 is only $43.70.

To answer the question posed:

If you get only tires, you'll have to go and visit the tire-remount store twice a year, forever. It'll likely cost you two hours of your day each time, minimum(an hour of actual work, and an hour of waiting for them to get to it). Additionally you'll be spending maybe $60 per swap, although a very few tire places might do it free as long as you bought the tires there.

There's a nonzero chance of tire or rim damage every time a mounting/unmounting occurs. It might not be a a lot, but its a lot more than zero.

During the Summer->Winter transition, you are likely to be waiting considerably longer as about a zillion other people are getting new all season tires installed(or winter tires swapped on!) just before the snow flies.

Every time you visit a tire store, you'll be wondering... "do they know how to jack up my tesla safely, or are they going to wreck my battery a bit?"

Admittedly, the value proposition is much worse if you can't or don't do your own wheel swaps, or if the wheels are very expensive. I'm very happy to be able to swap my wheel/tire sets in well less than an hour and occasionally do brake maintenance while I'm in there anyway(with a little more time). It also helps if you already have the tools around, mainly a jack. Three of our four cars have winter/summer setups, while the fourth is AWD riding on Michelin CrossClimate2's year round.

Reactions: leoita
Side note: with Amazon Prime Day in effect, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058BMNVU?th=1 is only $43.70.

To answer the question posed:

If you get only tires, you'll have to go and visit the tire-remount store twice a year, forever. It'll likely cost you two hours of your day each time, minimum(an hour of actual work, and an hour of waiting for them to get to it). Additionally you'll be spending maybe $60 per swap, although a very few tire places might do it free as long as you bought the tires there.

There's a nonzero chance of tire or rim damage every time a mounting/unmounting occurs. It might not be a a lot, but its a lot more than zero.

During the Summer->Winter transition, you are likely to be waiting considerably longer as about a zillion other people are getting new all season tires installed(or winter tires swapped on!) just before the snow flies.

Every time you visit a tire store, you'll be wondering... "do they know how to jack up my tesla safely, or are they going to wreck my battery a bit?"

Admittedly, the value proposition is much worse if you can't or don't do your own wheel swaps, or if the wheels are very expensive. I'm very happy to be able to swap my wheel/tire sets in well less than an hour and occasionally do brake maintenance while I'm in there anyway(with a little more time). It also helps if you already have the tools around, mainly a jack. Three of our four cars have winter/summer setups, while the fourth is AWD riding on Michelin CrossClimate2's year round.

I have that same tire rack. No problems with it.

So I scheduled tire installation with Paramus and after they took my summer tires off, they told me the 18 inch winter tires and rims I purchased directly from Tesla are not compatible with my Model 3 Performance. I send them a message prior to service to make sure all is good and if was of course ignored. They just loaded the new tires into my car, told me their department does not process refunds and I could not return my new tires there. Anyone else had similar experience?

So I scheduled tire installation with Paramus and after they took my summer tires off, they told me the 18 inch winter tires and rims I purchased directly from Tesla are not compatible with my Model 3 Performance. I send them a message prior to service to make sure all is good and if was of course ignored. They just loaded the new tires into my car, told me their department does not process refunds and I could not return my new tires there. Anyone else had similar experience?

It says the 18in wheels are not compatible in the description before you order. The brake calipers of the performance will hit the wheel. Only the stealth performance fits the oem 18in.

I asked them for clarification before I ordered and was ignored. I have also never heard of any other tire shop were you cannot return tires that are brand new.

I get that you asked and received no answer but I don't think that puts Tesla at fault. It's clearly in the front page of the description.

Screenshot_20231110-152434.png

You typically cannot return tires that are mounted to a tire shop. The solution is to purchase an aftermarket market 18in wheel that fits and transfer the tires over. Then take your oem 18in wheels and try to offload them on eBay.

Last edited: