Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter vs All season for my 19" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you live where there is a real winter, get snow tires--and be sure they are good ones, such as Michelin X-Ice or Nokian R2. If you live where there isn't much of a winter, get severe service all-seasons such as Nokian WR-3g. (My experience has been that these are as good as all but the very best snow tires.) It's best to have two sets of wheels so that you don't risk tire damage by continually changing them, and if you change them yourself you can avoid waiting around at the tire shop or Tesla SC.) The all-seasons supplied OE on cars (including Tesla) are just barely adequate when brand new. Once worn a bit, they are completely unsuitable (in my opinion) for any kind of driving during winter conditions.

I called a locl tire shop in Massachusetts and they siad that TESLA does not recommend WR-3g installation because there is no foam insert. Any comments?

Thank you very much

FURY

I called a locl tire shop in Massachusetts and they siad that TESLA does not recommend WR-3g installation because there is no foam insert. Any comments?
The foam insert is for sound deadening. There is some question as to how effective it actually is, some say yes, some say no. I've not had tires with a foam insert, so I can't say first hand one way or the other. Sound isn't much of an issue in winter conditions. When the pavement is dry, the aggregate used in the road construction is the major factor (unless the tires are really poorly designed). And I'd trade traction when it counts over sound deadening any day.

Hi All!

Thanks for the replies

So, I checked Nokian dealer locater and found three shops near me that can get the Nokians. Oone local tire shop that sells the W4 (W3's no longer available), said they can get and mount the set in a few weeks, no problem. Another shop said they will sell me the tires, but because of Tesla's requirements, would not mount them-mylocal TSLA service center said $50.00 U.S. per tire and I have to sign a waiver. The thirs shop said won't even sell them to me. The two shops that balked and the TSLA waiver equirement all cited the lack of foam in the tires,-despite the only function of the foam being sound attenuation.

Thank you very much

FURY

You live in a very harish area. Been there in winter, its hell driving.
I would call Tire Rack, tell him where you live, get best M&S tire he has on your second set of wheels.
I have set of winter tires i use from Nov to April because i go to DC a lot. My hard ZR tires are dangerous in bad weather.