Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers always scraping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A different wiper issue than the usual...

Ever since I got my new (Dec 2022) MX, I've noticed the windshield wipers are very "scrapy" -- rubbing erratically against the windshield instead of smoothly. The only time it's ever smooth is in torrential downpours. A light rain does not overcome the friction, and don't get my started on just trying to clean the windshield using wiper fluid.

Is this something I can fix manually? Is it inherent to the MX? (I assume not since there aren't many search results on it...)

A different wiper issue than the usual...

Ever since I got my new (Dec 2022) MX, I've noticed the windshield wipers are very "scrapy" -- rubbing erratically against the windshield instead of smoothly. The only time it's ever smooth is in torrential downpours. A light rain does not overcome the friction, and don't get my started on just trying to clean the windshield using wiper fluid.

Is this something I can fix manually? Is it inherent to the MX? (I assume not since there aren't many search results on it...)
By chance, did you have any ceramic glass treatment applied? If yes, that can cause the problem. Good news, it goes away after a few road trips in the rain. How long that takes, depends on how much rain you get.

I use ArmorAll vinyl cleaner on my wipers. Spray it on a paper towel, wipe the rubber to get the dirt off, then wipe again with a dry paper towel so you don't smear cleaner on the glass. I also use Rain-X on the windshield. I have seen others claim that it messes with the rain sensing but I don't have a problem with my automatic wipers.

I had the same trouble. Fixed it by looking at the wiper arm if it was "parallell" with the glass surface and bent it right . It is now perfect no rubbing. If you try to correct, be sure you don´t damage the glass and the arm fixation. I used a bath towel under and 2 wrenches at the arm to bend it parallell to the glass surface.

Reactions: m5james