Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging doesn't work with multiple phone cases?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I haven't had issues getting it to charge, both on Pixel 4's, one regular one XL. She even has a thicker case with a magnet at the bottom so she can mount it in her car. I just have what I would call a normal thickness case.

iPhone 11 Pro Max with thin Lifeproof Shock case doesn't work with the Tesla Wireless charger on my Model 3. Works without the case, but that is tremendously disappointing Tesla would use such an inferior charger at a $125 price point. I have $15 qi wireless desk chargers that charge fine through this case. I hear the TAPTES third party brand for $30 works with a phone case. I'll be buying one of those instead.

Hopefully I can send this back for a full refund. A 'made on earth' Tesla shirt that I ordered that came last week was delivered with a tear in it. It has been 3 business days now and radio silence from customer service. I feel bad. It seems like Tesla employees are overworked. I could tell that the poor Rep for my delivery was trying so hard, but he told me he was so swamped. My original Tesla representative also went radio silent on me.

Note 9 with Spigen Liquid Air Armor case. Charges fine at home on wireless charger.... terrible on the Y. Just driving down the road it starts/stops. Probably looking at an aftermarket to see if that works better.

Last edited:
Note 9 with Spigen Liquid Air Armor case. Charges fine at home on wireless charger.... terrible on the Y. Just driving down the road it starts/stops. Probably looking at an aftermarket to see if that works better.

Same problem with my S10+. The lip of the case at the bottom is just a tiny bit too thick to let it slide down into the charge dock holder. It will start to charge for a bit, then cut off. I've found that putting the phone upside down solves the issue, or with no case so it actually fits in the holder. That indicates that the charge coil on the mat is just a little to low down for my phones size. I'd imagine most tall phones will have this issue. I ordered the Jeda dock extender ($15 + shipping) which should give me enough space for my phone in case to slide down to the right position.

iPhone 11 Pro Max with thin Lifeproof Shock case doesn't work with the Tesla Wireless charger on my Model 3. Works without the case, but that is tremendously disappointing Tesla would use such an inferior charger at a $125 price point. I have $15 qi wireless desk chargers that charge fine through this case. I hear the TAPTES third party brand for $30 works with a phone case. I'll be buying one of those instead...

Update* I was wrong! The Tesla Qi Wireless Chargers don't have an issue charging through thicker plastic Lifeproof Shock cases. When I got home I plugged in the charger's two usb cables into a usb outlet at home outside of the car and my phone began charging.

What appears to be the issue is that because the iPhone 11 Pro Max is such a tall phone as it is, (158mm in height) This height increases to 165mm with the case on. The additional 3.5mm the phone is raised on the bottom is JUST enough to not have the charging coils in the charger and in your phone aligned properly. The bottom lip of the charger that cradles the phone from slipping down does not allow for the phone to be lowered on the charger any more.

So this is a dimensional height issue for the iphone 11 pro max with case, and not a thickness of the case itself. I am going to have to look into finding a third party charger that has the coils built up a little higher. The two from Nomad and Taptes have built in lips that sit above the black plastic click in lip made by tesla. I just ordered the Taptes charger on Amazon for $30 and I will report back when I get it tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
Update* I was wrong! The Tesla Qi Wireless Chargers don't have an issue charging through thicker plastic Lifeproof Shock cases. When I got home I plugged in the charger's two usb cables into a usb outlet at home outside of the car and my phone began charging.

What appears to be the issue is that because the iPhone 11 Pro Max is such a tall phone as it is, (158mm in height) This height increases to 165mm with the case on. The additional 3.5mm the phone is raised on the bottom is JUST enough to not have the charging coils in the charger and in your phone aligned properly. The bottom lip of the charger that cradles the phone from slipping down does not allow for the phone to be lowered on the charger any more.

So this is a dimensional height issue for the iphone 11 pro max with case, and not a thickness of the case itself. I am going to have to look into finding a third party charger that has the coils built up a little higher. The two from Nomad and Taptes have built in lips that sit above the black plastic click in lip made by tesla. I just ordered the Taptes charger on Amazon for $30 and I will report back when I get it tomorrow.

Is your phone/case too thick to slide down into the charging cradle that extra little bit you need? If so, see my post above. Check out the Jeda cradle extender

One thing to keep in mind is heat in the summer. Since the Y AC isn't the strongest, I found the phone is a lot hotter during summer. My phone had no issue charging before June, but recently I noticed charging speed is slower, or stopped because the phone is very hot. Unfortunately, the issue won't be solved even if we change the charger since it is the phone safety feature to stop wireless charging once it is too hot.

I'm new to the forum. I just took delivery of my Y this past weekend. I've been dreaming of a Tesla for years, but just now joined the club!
I have an iPhone XS Max. I had a case with a ring (metal disc) on the back and I knew that wouldn't work with wireless charging. I bought a new case that was said to work with wireless charging but it didn't. I am now on my 2nd new case, and it works sporadically in my Y. It seems to work better on the right side charger than it does on the left. Sometimes it works on either, and other times it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be much of a rhyme or reason. I called Tesla service and got no help. They told me that as long as it works with a phone with no case, then they know it works. I do need wireless charging and clearly don't want to remove my case everytime I get in the car. I'm looking at the Taptes charger that someone else posted about in this thread. Has anyone had good success with it. I tried looking to see what was involved in replacing the charger in the Y. It didn't seem obvious to me how to remove it. Is it possible to change the charger but keep the original Tesla mat?

The Jeda cradle extender fixed my issue. Pre extender my Samsung S10+ with a thin plastic case would not charge at all right side up. Upside down it would charge, but would not fast charge. With the cradle extender, it fast charges right side up. $15 will solve your issues. No need to buy a whole new charge pad.

Note 9 does not work with Otterbox Defender case. Fits in the wireless charging dock just fine, but no charging.

There is no way that your Note 9 with the Otterbox defender fits the dock just fine. My S10 + with a thin plastic case measures 9.5 mm thick and it would not sit all the way down in the cradle. Your note 9 without any case is 8.8mm thick. Try taking the cradle off the bottom, sliding your phone down just a tiny bit, and see if you get any charge. If you do, it's because your phone can't sit all the way down in the cradle and you should pick up the Jeda extender. If not, your case might just be too thick (the defender is a big boy). Does it wireless charge in that case on other wireless pads?

Reactions: laservet
I have a iPhone SE as does my wife. Different cases. Both silicone based. Both are easily charged in the Y. They sit very nicely in the provided location and appear to charge up rather quickly. As for being too hot in the summer, two words... Dog Mode. Love Dog Mode. I used it even without having the puppies in the car. Love coming back to a car that is not 90 or 100 after shopping.