Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisconsin to Key West road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I'd share a brief note on our road trip from Wisconsin to Key West, Florida

It was a lot of fun and the best part from a Tesla owner's perspective was how ordinary it was. No problems charging and we found several hotels with level 2 chargers all the way down and back. The downtown Atlanta charger was full so we had to stay there for an hour (since we were only getting 1/2 normal charge rate) where nearly every other charger it was 20-30 minutes to get back on the road.

Hwy 1 in the keys was no problem- I was expecting delays but no issues at all. There was a supercharger halfway through the keys at Marathon, but we didn't have to use it because the hotel at Marathon had a lvl 2 so we were fully charged for our day trip down to Key West.

Autopilot did nearly all the highway work and was awesome in the occasional traffic jams.

In Wisconsin we were running about 340 kwh/mile, but in Southern Florida it was less than 250 typically- very close to if not higher than rated range.

We spent one night car camping at a campground in Key Largo on the way back and had a lot of folks with a lot of questions.

I gave rides at a superbowl party we attended and I think I sold several cars- but foolishly didn't give out my referral code- I need to make up some business cards I think.

We stopped at my Sister's place in Sarasota. She has my exact car except for white seats- stealth performance 3 in blue. She even got my same plates.

Each way we drove about 12 hours per day- as much as my spouse would tolerate. When I do solo road trips now I just pound it out and nap at superchargers with a sleeping pad in the back, but I can't convince her to try that yet :)

Southernmost.jpg

TwinTeslas.jpg

We got married right near where your picture is taken at the Southernmost Resort on the beach! We love Key West and it's a road trip I'd love to take in the 3 if my wife would ever sit in a car that long. Awesome report! Nice to know there is supercharging in Marathon, that's well placed by Tesla. I've also noticed an abundance of Level 2 and Tesla specific chargers popping up at hotels everywhere. One clerk at a Home2Suites told me it's basically in the works for the entire chain. Progress is being made folks. Zero Emissions for the win!

Nice! I've made the trip from Houston to Wisconsin in my 3 a few times, the most recent 2 are documented here(summer) and here(winter) at AtariAge. As a hobby I write new games for the Atari 2600 - Draconian, a port of the '81 arcade game Bosconian, is my most recent.

I gave rides at a superbowl party we attended and I think I sold several cars- but foolishly didn't give out my referral code- I need to make up some business cards I think.

I keep handouts in my 3 for such occasions, this one I print on legal sized paper and fold in half:

Model 3 Handout Legal.png Model 3 Handout Legal 2.png

There's also a letter sized version, which drops the example road trip due to less space. Also have versions for the S, X, and Y.

Feel free to download the handout and make any revisions you desire, such as an image of your 3 and your referral code. See my pinned tweet for all the links and instructions. Towards the end of the tweet chain you'll find instructions on how to download an image of your 3, on a transparent background, from Tesla.

Last edited:
Nice! I've made the trip from Houston to Wisconsin in my 3 a few times, the most recent 2 are documented here(summer) and here(winter) at AtariAge. As a hobby I write new games for the Atari 2600 - Draconian, a port of the '81 arcade game Bosconian, is my most recent.

I keep handouts in my 3 for such occasions, this one I print on legal sized paper and folded in half:

View attachment 508978 View attachment 508979

There's also a letter sized version, which drops the example road trip due to less space. Also have versions for the S, X, and Y.

Feel free to download the handout and make any revisions you desire, such as an image of your 3 and your referral code. See my pinned tweet for all the links and instructions. Towards the end of the tweet chain you'll find instructions on how to download an image of your 3, on a transparent background, from Tesla.

That is AWESOME work!

Range Anxiety went away after about 6 months and I started seeing hotels install the Level two chargers. Great to see this trip. Will use it to show others concerned about their "mileage"...."Spiceware" Love the handout. Anyone know of something similar for an "S" model? Great article folks!

Reactions: SpiceWare
"Spiceware" Love the handout. Anyone know of something similar for an "S" model? Great article folks!

Thanks! I made versions for all 4 models, you'll find links to the Model S versions immediately after the Model 3 versions in the tweet chain.

I'm getting ready to update the Supercharger and Destination Charger maps on all of them, so you may wish to wait a little bit before downloading them.

Thanks! I made versions for all 4 models, you'll find links to the Model S versions immediately after the Model 3 versions in the tweet chain.

I'm getting ready to update the Supercharger and Destination Charger maps on all of them, so you may wish to wait a little bit before downloading them.

Love your info pamphlet. When you are doing your updates you should also add the J-1772 adapter as part of the mobile kit. Don't see it pictured on your form. That is still being included (the NEMA 14-50 was removed a while go but not the J-1772 which does get lots of use by people).

Reactions: SpiceWare
Maps are updated on all the handouts.

When you are doing your updates you should also add the J-1772 adapter as part of the mobile kit.

I felt it was getting too cluttered/hard to read (especially on the legal version) so I left out the J-1772 adapter, the Wall Connector, etc. I show the adapter to them if I'm giving the full tour; though I also mention I've only used it one time, and that was just to try it out.

Feel free to revise it to include the J-1772 if you like.

There is a free (but not fast) Tesla charger at the Reef Environmental Educational Foundation at 98300 Overseas Hwy, Key Largo, FL 33037. The Foundation has installed solar panels and offers free EV charging via four different kinds of chargers. The Foundation site, in the middle of the Overseas Highway, has shaded paths, picnic tables, and a shop. Chargers are on the west-bound side of the highway.

Reactions: KenC