Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisdom of Tesla Ownership Tips and Learning?

How do you buy?

• Buy

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Lease

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to the Tesla family and previously was an experienced BMW owner and knew exactly how to buy and when to sell my BMWs to minimize the initial depreciation hit and when to sell before the maintenance cost would kill You. I am curious about your thoughts on what you have learned over the years with Tesla Ownership? For example - do you drive it till a certain level of (100k in an ICe or 10 years) miles/years and then trade or do you hold on to it?

I am new to the Tesla family and previously was an experienced BMW owner and knew exactly how to buy and when to sell my BMWs to minimize the initial depreciation hit and when to sell before the maintenance cost would kill You. I am curious about your thoughts on what you have learned over the years with Tesla Ownership? For example - do you drive it till a certain level of (100k in an ICe or 10 years) miles/years and then trade or do you hold on to it?

If you have extra cash then lease so that you can catch up with technology after each lease expires.

If not having that much cash and you don't mind the same technology for the next 8 years / 100,000 miles, I would buy the car AND its ESA (Tesla's extended warranty).

Rule #1 of car leasing, never deposit more than the first monthly payment. You crash, you lose all that money.
Rule #2, never buy your car out of a lease. You will pay tax twice and the residual value is always biased to make you lose.

Buy financing through a credit union, less than half the interest and with the galloping inflation you will pay less in time.

Hope this makes sense.

For me with the Model S, same as for other S/Xers, aluminium car and 8 year ext. warranty, I will drive her into the ground, literally, meaning when the battery pack fails I will part her, just praying both DUs and MCU fail before 2023:)

• Helpful
Reactions: jet44 and Mboysen