Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wish List: A "Little" Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a former FR-S owner, the car is an under-powered turd that should have come from the factory with 50 more hp and a sport option with 300hp.
Plenty of fun to be wrung out of a car with 200 hp. As someone said, "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." But, I agree that 100 extra hp, or at least a usable torque band down low, would be a hoot.

Plenty of fun to be wrung out of a car with 200 hp. As someone said, "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow." But, I agree that 100 extra hp, or at least a usable torque band down low, would be a hoot.

it's a fun car in the corners but most roads don't have them and less than 1% of people track their GT86 or BRZ. It is vastly under-powered as some Camry's are faster than it and the tires are taken directly off a Prius.

People have been talking about BMW doing a smaller convertible for years. There are a ton of renders out there of a supposed Z2. They've never actually built it. These types of cars must not be in really high demand.

Well sadly enough, in the Land of the SUV small fun cars face a dim future.. a 2/3rds size Model 3 could be a nice coupe but the discussion already happened

I had one of those Quattro Audi Roadsters back in the day and I miss a smaller car..

Reactions: GSP
How much would an electric conversion Miata or TT be?

Depends on what exactly you want/need from your conversion.

A few thousand buys a somewhat functional neighborhood runabout; you might need $50k or more to make the conversion you're probably imagining with similar acceleration and range and reliability to the ICE car.

You'll never manage a conversion that matches all aspects of the performance of a production car for anywhere near the price of one.

If nothing else, it's the $90k Ford Taurus situation, buying the parts you need at retail prices. (A car magazine in the 90s figured out that you could buy every part needed to make a new Taurus from the dealer parts department, and they all add up to $90k back then. The car sold for $18k new...)

Probably there will be no small model 3 ever. In a 'ride the lighting' podcast Musk said that they don't know how to make a cheaper car for now. But even considering they could in the future probably they wouldn't because it's strategically not good for market positioning since they would have to do quality compromises and break the premium perception and have much more competition (same reason why apple do not do a 200$ iphone). Cheaper products are already there and are Chinese cars and used Teslas in some years, and here you go is your 25K Tesla.

@ilosi you never had a Tesla (original) Roadster did you :)

I want smaller, I never said cheaper... someone else maybe inferred it..

You didn't say cheaper. The OP explicitly did in the original post, however, which is why I responded to that the way I did.

If there are enough folks willing to pay Boxster and TT prices for a little Tesla, it's probably a viable product, though I'm not sure when they'll have time to develop it.

Drive to Portland, OR with $7k and grab a SparkEV with 20 - 25kmi on the clock and DCFC. Tow it home and enjoy. Shut up about the looks (hey, you are inside the car so why should you care about appearance) but do let us know how you enjoy the performance and how well it meshes with the family Tesla. It just might be the perfect Tesla companion car.
--

Drive to Portland, OR with $7k and grab a SparkEV with 20 - 25kmi on the clock and DCFC. Tow it home and enjoy. Shut up about the looks (hey, you are inside the car so why should you care about appearance) but do let us know how you enjoy the performance and how well it meshes with the family Tesla. It just might be the perfect Tesla companion car.
--
Maybe the answer is taking a Spark chassis and putting a pointy 2+2, two-door body on it. Better wheels, a couple of suspension bits, maybe a bigger motor at the expense of a little range.