Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wisp Resort charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
Anyone been to Wisp resort (Wisp Resort - Maryland's own 4-season Ski and Golf Destination | wispresort.com) in McHenry, MD? Have you been able to charge?

I called, and they told me over they have several outlets scattered in the parking lot, but it's first come first serve and they can't guarantee an outlet when I arrive.

Looking on PlugShare, seems that the only nearby charging option is Black Bear Tavern.

(I realize I could stay at Lake Point Inn, but I'm trying to gauge the charging options at Wisp...)

Anyone been to Wisp resort (Wisp Resort - Maryland's own 4-season Ski and Golf Destination | wispresort.com) in McHenry, MD? Have you been able to charge?

I called, and they told me over they have several outlets scattered in the parking lot, but it's first come first serve and they can't guarantee an outlet when I arrive.

Looking on PlugShare, seems that the only nearby charging option is Black Bear Tavern.

(I realize I could stay at Lake Point Inn, but I'm trying to gauge the charging options at Wisp...)

Sorry only been there "pre-Tesla." I have considered driving this route since then (actually was going to Morgantown, WVa), and was going to stop in Grantville at the restaurant shown on Plugshare that shows a Destination charger. Didn't end up going there so I didn't try it out. Not sure if that would help you.. Cumberland SC will be helpful when it is built.

Reactions: Max*
I might bring up the Tesla destination program when I arrive. I might also ask to speak to a manager, they're usually more accommodating, and worst case I can go beg (and offer to pay) the inn that's less than a mile away to use their Tesla destination chargers.

A Cumberland, SC would be very helpful. But that won't happen before my trip, heh.

I was at Wisp last ski season, and like they said, it would a crapshoot as far as being able to park near a 120v outlet in the parking lot, as the parking lots get pretty full and there is no way to guarantee a spot before you arrive.

The place I usually stay at (Lodges at Sunset Village) doesn't have any charging stations, but it would be fairly easy to route an extension cord out one of the windows to charge. The bathroom window is right next to where you park, one could use the outlet in the bathroom to charge.

• Informative
I might bring up the Tesla destination program when I arrive. I might also ask to speak to a manager, they're usually more accommodating, and worst case I can go beg (and offer to pay) the inn that's less than a mile away to use their Tesla destination chargers.

A Cumberland, SC would be very helpful. But that won't happen before my trip, heh.

Max PM me if you are interested in a flyer/PDF about the destination charging program. I feel it always helps to leave something for them to look at/hold on to.

So did you ever mention the Destination Charging program?

I sent an initial email to the general Wisp email to ask for a POC that would be in a position to talk about destination charging. Let's see where this goes...

So did you ever mention the Destination Charging program?

I sent an initial email to the general Wisp email to ask for a POC that would be in a position to talk about destination charging. Let's see where this goes...
We moved the trip a little, we're going in... 2 weeks! :D

And I'll be taking the Tesla 100%, worst case I can drive up to Somerset to charge one of the evenings.

Reactions: jthompson
I'm not taking the Tesla after all. My drivers door handle broke, getting in and out is a major pain. First appointment is for the weekend, this weekend, when we're going. So I'm getting a rental (no loaners available) for the trip.

And.... this thread was a waste.
/close thread

I'm not taking the Tesla after all. My drivers door handle broke, getting in and out is a major pain. First appointment is for the weekend, this weekend, when we're going. So I'm getting a rental (no loaners available) for the trip.

And.... this thread was a waste.
/close thread

Damn, that sucks. Handle broke?? It doesn't retract anymore or something? Or it broke off?

Never got a response from Wisp. Figures.

As promised, I talked to WISP about EVs.

They can accommodate 120V charging, if needed they can run am extension cord.

At this time there is no interest in the Tesla destination charger program. They are aware that Tesla installs them for free.

I asked why? She said in the years she's been there, there have been only 4 Teslas. And two of them were the same car (I.e. Only 3 owners showed up).

They knew all about it, but due to no demand, no real interest.

I told her I would've been the 5th Tesla, but my car is in the shop.

She said they'd gladly accommodate me next time.

So... I did all I could, if anyone shows up, just keep asking them about it, with more demand maybe they'd consider it.

@Max* we could have a phone tree and take turns calling them to request a destination charger. I don't go often, but I'd like the option to be there. Thanks for initiating.

Different scenario, but years ago during snowmaggedon, the county I live in ignored plowing our street, and after 4-5 days, one of the neighbors hosted a get-together, and passed around a phone as we each logged an official request to the 311 site. That night the county sent in a front loader to clear the street:)

• Informative
As promised, I talked to WISP about EVs.

They can accommodate 120V charging, if needed they can run am extension cord.

At this time there is no interest in the Tesla destination charger program. They are aware that Tesla installs them for free.

I asked why? She said in the years she's been there, there have been only 4 Teslas. And two of them were the same car (I.e. Only 3 owners showed up).

Wow, such an enthusiastic attitude by Wisp....Not. Maybe if they installed some destination chargers, more Teslas would show up?? What a concept.

• Funny
Reactions: MMC- and Max*
Here again.

Two Teslas (mine and an SUV) here right now.

Hotel is EV friendly, but only for 120V. I'm bring up the destination charging program again, but they're aware and doesn't seem they're interested.

Last night I charged from the 120V. I should have enough range to make it back, next time I think I'm rent an ICE or go to a different hotel.

As promised, I talked to WISP about EVs. They can accommodate 120V charging, if needed they can run an extension cord.

At this time there is no interest in the Tesla destination charger program. They are aware that Tesla installs them for free. I asked why? She said in the years she's been there, there have been only 4 Teslas. And two of them were the same car (I.e. Only 3 owners showed up).

I'm not sure they are even aware of how many Teslas actually use the nearby chargers at Lake Pointe Inn and Black Bear Tavern. I looked at the PlugShare check-ins for dates prior to Jan 2017 (when you posted that) and although that is not always an exact count there were 3 check-ins at Lake Pointe Inn and 9 (!) at Black Bear Tavern. I wonder how many of those would have preferred to charge AT Wisp instead of down the street at another location.

upload_2018-1-13_20-37-49.png

Here again. Two Teslas (mine and an SUV) here right now. Hotel is EV friendly, but only for 120V. I'm bring up the destination charging program again, but they're aware and doesn't seem they're interested.

Last night I charged from the 120V. I should have enough range to make it back, next time I think I'm rent an ICE or go to a different hotel.

I'm not sure I would consider that "EV friendly" -- more like "EV resistant."

It's sad when a location such as this is so against even a free Tesla charger and normal EV charger and merely provide the bare minimum and think a 120v is "sufficient" for charging an EV. Maybe just dine off-site at the Black Bear Tavern a time or two for some extra range other than the daily or nightly 120v charging.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-13_20-37-43.png
    upload_2018-1-13_20-37-43.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: EVTECH