Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With driver watching a movie, Tesla on autopilot crashes into state trooper's cruiser - Aug 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about everyone else's Tesla, but my entertainment system will not operate unless the car is in park, so unless the driver was watching a moving on his phone, saying the driver was using autopilot while watching a movie, is incorrect. I also doubt that the Tesla was in autopilot.

"State troopers say the driver was watching a movie when the crash occurred on Aug. 26, 2020."
It's a two year story why you publish this now ??? It's just for making BS news ?

I always have doubts when a story like this reports that "the driver claims he was using Autopilot when the crash happened". Isn't it much more convenient to claim that and dodge responsibility than to admit it was entirely his fault? With today's AP I have a hard time accepting the possibility of that MS slamming into the cruiser at that speed, basically totaling both cars. AP is not blind, the driver is.

And also the stats about the polling numbers, it's so misleading. I don't care about what non-Tesla drivers think about the name AutoPilot, because they're irrelevant. If you drive a Tesla and engage AP the first time, you WILL be prompted with a short, readable warning about what it is and what you need to do. The IIHS guy says on TV that "AutoPilot" is a bad name because 50% of drivers surveyed think "you can take your hands off the wheel". DUH! Yes you can! And 6% of drivers surveyed think "you can take a nap". Ahh, there is always a 6% in any survey that is just completely stupid.

Last edited:
"State troopers say the driver was watching a movie when the crash occurred on Aug. 26, 2020."
It's a two year story why you publish this now ??? It's just for making BS news ?
BECAUSE, it hit the news on the 9th... OF THIS YEAR.

ABC News (02-09-22).jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
I always have doubts when a story like this reports that "the driver claims he was using Autopilot when the crash happened". Isn't it much more convenient to claim that and dodge responsibility than to admit it was entirely his fault? With today's AP I have a hard time accepting the possibility of that MS slamming into the cruiser at that speed, basically totaling both cars. AP is not blind, the driver is.

And also the stats about the polling numbers, it's so misleading. I don't care about what non-Tesla drivers think about the name AutoPilot, because they're irrelevant. If you drive a Tesla and engage AP the first time, you WILL be prompted with a short, readable warning about what it is and what you need to do. The IIHS guy says on TV that "AutoPilot" is a bad name because 50% of drivers surveyed think "you can take your hands off the wheel". DUH! Yes you can! And 6% of drivers surveyed think "you can take a nap". Ahh, there is always a 6% in any survey that is just completely stupid.
Well claiming that Autopilot was active does nothing to shift blame, these are Level 2 ADAS requiring driver attention at all time.

I don’t think there’s much question Autopilot was active in this case, this crash on August 26th 2020 is included in the NHTSA ODI’s Autopilot investigation regarding First Responder scenes.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: CyberGus and trisk