Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

With driver watching a movie, Tesla on autopilot crashes into state trooper's cruiser - Aug 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about everyone else's Tesla, but my entertainment system will not operate unless the car is in park, so unless the driver was watching a moving on his phone, saying the driver was using autopilot while watching a movie, is incorrect. I also doubt that the Tesla was in autopilot.

Reactions: FLTessie
Like most accidents, the initial reports are probably wrong. Hopefully, this accident will be thoroughly, and fairly investigated. If Tesla was a smart company, it would have an investigator on the scene as soon as possible, to fully participate in the investigation, especially in the case of high-profile accidents like this one. Sadly, the police that will investigate this, will probably have little understanding of how EVs work, much less the sophisticated driver assistance tech that is integrated into Teslas.

In the aviation world, when a major accident happens, all of the "Interested Parties" (airframe and engine manufacturers, airline or aircraft operator, pilot's union, etc.) actually fully participate as part of the NTSB investigative team. This really, really works well -- for aviation safety. My fondest fantasy would have "tiger teams" of highly skilled, well trained automobile accident investigators in every major city, in every state, to actually do quality work that would surely save lives and prevent accidents. Every interested party would be invited to participate. The staff would be protected from politics and corruption. Some fantasy, huh?

In reality, very few people ever take safety seriously, and almost nobody wants to pay for it. People want instant answers, and to blame someone, and punish them. Our surface transportation system is getting much more complex every day, and we had better wake up to the need for dramatically more professional safety culture. In my experience, the average traffic cop tries to do a good job, but they are under trained, underpaid, poorly staffed, and under pressure to "get the road cleared, and back to work." A rookie cop with a tape measure and flashlight, was never adequate 50 years ago, and surely is not today.

Like most accidents, the initial reports are probably wrong. Hopefully, this accident will be thoroughly, and fairly investigated. If Tesla was a smart company, it would have an investigator on the scene as soon as possible, to fully participate in the investigation, especially in the case of high-profile accidents like this one. Sadly, the police that will investigate this, will probably have little understanding of how EVs work, much less the sophisticated driver assistance tech that is integrated into Teslas.

In the aviation world, when a major accident happens, all of the "Interested Parties" (airframe and engine manufacturers, airline or aircraft operator, pilot's union, etc.) actually fully participate as part of the NTSB investigative team. This really, really works well -- for aviation safety. My fondest fantasy would have "tiger teams" of highly skilled, well trained automobile accident investigators in every major city, in every state, to actually do quality work that would surely save lives and prevent accidents. Every interested party would be invited to participate. The staff would be protected from politics and corruption. Some fantasy, huh?

In reality, very few people ever take safety seriously, and almost nobody wants to pay for it. People want instant answers, and to blame someone, and punish them. Our surface transportation system is getting much more complex every day, and we had better wake up to the need for dramatically more professional safety culture. In my experience, the average traffic cop tries to do a good job, but they are under trained, underpaid, poorly staffed, and under pressure to "get the road cleared, and back to work." A rookie cop with a tape measure and flashlight, was never adequate 50 years ago, and surely is not today.
Unless the guy recanted I think this case is solved. Not sure why this story was reposted with less information than the original story.
The Highway Patrol said the Tesla’s driver, identified as Devainder Goli of Raleigh, said he was watching a movie on his phone while the car was on auto-pilot when the collision occurred.

Jesus that's scary, the same thing could happen on regular dumb cruise control. Have to say I'm in the school of thought that all vehicles should have good systems for monitoring driver engagement in all circumstances. Refine the eye-tracking tech and roll it out, I bet distracted-driving accidents would drop significantly.

“Almost half of the survey respondents indicated they would take their hands off the steering wheel, and almost 6 percent thought they could take a nap while the system was in autopilot,” said Harkey.

The IIHS recommended changing the names of systems like autopilot to something less likely to delude drivers into thinking cars will drive themselves.

This.

Jesus that's scary, the same thing could happen on regular dumb cruise control. Have to say I'm in the school of thought that all vehicles should have good systems for monitoring driver engagement in all circumstances. Refine the eye-tracking tech and roll it out, I bet distracted-driving accidents would drop significantly.
It could also happen without cruise control! In fact, it can happen with horses too! :p

It will be interesting to see if the probe into people using Autopilot hitting emergency vehicles is able to determine if it happens more or less often when using Autopilot.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AndreP
Unless the guy recanted I think this case is solved. Not sure why this story was reposted with less information than the original story.

Not so fast.

Was he tugging at the wheel while watching the movie ? Why didn't AEB kick in ?

ps : How many TV shows are there where the "detective" pronounces the case solved in the first episode and the show goes on for 6 seasons ?

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Not so fast.

Was he tugging at the wheel while watching the movie ? Why didn't AEB kick in ?

ps : How many TV shows are there where the "detective" pronounces the case solved in the first episode and the show goes on for 6 seasons ?
What are the odds of accidentally disengaging Autopilot and hitting a police car? If accidentally disengaging autopilot while watching a movie was a thing wouldn't we expect to see a lot of people flying off the road while using autopilot? Most likely explanation is that Autopilot has trouble recognizing vehicles that are stopped partially in a lane and emergency vehicles are very likely to be stopped partially in a lane.
Anyway, I'm sure the logs will be published in the probe's report.

I think the first time someone switches AP on - the car should read out the disclaimers and make sure they acknowledge each disclaimer or repeat it.
I don't think Tesla can be any more clear than this:
20220210_122844.jpg

Plus there is a message every time AP is activated. Having people read back the information won't help. People are heavily relying on the computer driving their car, that's the issue.

Reactions: trisk and S&B's M3
It could also happen without cruise control! In fact, it can happen with horses too! :p

It will be interesting to see if the probe into people using Autopilot hitting emergency vehicles is able to determine if it happens more or less often when using Autopilot.
I would pay good money to see the data that have been submitted for that investigation, from all manufacturers

View attachment 767398

Plus there is a message every time AP is activated. Having people read back the information won't help. People are heavily relying on the computer driving their car, that's the issue.
you mean the agreement on your phone/computer/all other devices that we just, yes, yes, yes, next, next, next, and never care to read?
Hard to imagine for people who spent 12,000 (or any amount) on FSD would say, "you know what, I don't agree with that, let me say No."
and when accident do happen, well, we all know the story of how that goes, let's not open up that discussion.

View attachment 767398

FSD should read the disclaimer aloud and make people go through some kind of "test". XPeng / NIO do the tests.

People are so used to just accepting disclaimers now (thanks to multiple pages of "license" that all software companies force people to acknowledge. Basically you have to force people to pay attention.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus and aspekt