Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Woes of having the 20" performance wheels (busted tires... constantly)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery on December 14th.

Xmas eve day. Turned too fast into a parking lot. Both passenger side wheels got cranked by a high gutter. No big deal, right? I was able to smooth it out and use a black sharpie to hide most of the damage. But then I noticed that both of the tires had severely damaged sidewalls. They were newly purchased snow tires, so I got to drop another ~$800 on two more new ones.

Two weeks ago. Drive to the mountains (I live in Denver). Pot holes everywhere on I-70. I'm using FSD, so wasn't tip-top on my pot hole dodging game. A week later I noticed a bulge in the passenger-side rear tire. Hey, maybe it's just a warranty issue? Nope. Got it replaced. The interior of the rim is slightly bent. ~$400 for another new tire.

And it's only February.

Hindsight being 20-20, I should have just bought a set of 18s or 19s with thicker snow tires. The SEVEN new tires (four original and three replacements) set me back ~$2,800 and I still have the risk of more damage.

Heed my warning. Get less rim with more tire.

The end.

ya du. Heavy 20" wheels with rubber bands on them. A lot of guys downsize to 19s, which are lighter, have more sidewall, are cheaper, w/ cheaper tires, with more tire options, and look better (far better wheel-to-meat ratio, imo). No reason not to do it, unless you like the look of the 20" donks.

I think I bent wheels 3 or 4 times on my stupid BMW w/ stupid package. It gets old quick.

ya du. Heavy 20" wheels with rubber bands on them. A lot of guys downsize to 19s, which are lighter, have more sidewall, are cheaper, w/ cheaper tires, with more tire options, and look better (far better wheel-to-meat ratio, imo). No reason not to do it, unless you like the look of the 20" donks.

I think I bent wheels 3 or 4 times on my stupid BMW w/ stupid package. It gets old quick.

Guy on these boards a few days ago bent 2x 19" wheels in the same pothole. Potholes are potholes. There may be a marginally better chance of not destroying a wheel in a particularly bad pothole with a 19 vs a 20, but it's going to be marginal.

I took delivery on December 14th.

Xmas eve day. Turned too fast into a parking lot. Both passenger side wheels got cranked by a high gutter. No big deal, right? I was able to smooth it out and use a black sharpie to hide most of the damage. But then I noticed that both of the tires had severely damaged sidewalls. They were newly purchased snow tires, so I got to drop another ~$800 on two more new ones.

Two weeks ago. Drive to the mountains (I live in Denver). Pot holes everywhere on I-70. I'm using FSD, so wasn't tip-top on my pot hole dodging game. A week later I noticed a bulge in the passenger-side rear tire. Hey, maybe it's just a warranty issue? Nope. Got it replaced. The interior of the rim is slightly bent. ~$400 for another new tire.

And it's only February.

Hindsight being 20-20, I should have just bought a set of 18s or 19s with thicker snow tires. The SEVEN new tires (four original and three replacements) set me back ~$2,800 and I still have the risk of more damage.

Heed my warning. Get less rim with more tire.

The end.

Join the club - go commiserate here and after filing your insurance claim replace with 18 inch wheels and if you must have 19's get the Martian Wheels or Titan 7, they have custom made ones for the Model 3 and keep them in stock and they are super light, strong and come with lifetime structural warranties.

Last edited:
To the guys who say 'user error' or 'avoid the potholes' what do you do when it's raining hard and you can't see the potholes because they are filled with water? Not go out in the rain.

How dare you. I would never subject my Tesla to rain. ;)

Kidding aside, what can you do? You have to decide for yourself. If you live in an area where you know you are going to hit nasty potholes all the time then I would probably get a truck.

Unfortunately there are more tire choices in the 20” size and they are actually cheaper than the 19’s. Although not exactly cheaper if you consider having to replace damaged 20’s

Reactions: ElectricIAC
How dare you. I would never subject my Tesla to rain. ;)

Kidding aside, what can you do? You have to decide for yourself. If you live in an area where you know you are going to hit nasty potholes all the time then I would probably get a truck.

Most of the roads I drive on are very good TBH, but it only needs one pot hole on a road you don’t know, in the rain lol, to cause havoc on your journey. I most definitely wouldn’t drive a truck, I prefer to just use smaller wheels and more tyre sidewall. I know this doesn’t guarantee I won’t get a puncture, but it lowers the risk.

For me, a smaller wheel gives the following benefits in no particular order, better ride quality, less chance of wheel damage, better feedback of the tyre slip angle, lighter wheel for better suspension performance due to lower unsprung weight, more tyre choice, cheaper tyres, less aero drag due to a lower speed of the outer part of the spoke relative to the airflow compared to a larger wheel, less wheel to clean!!

Benefits of a larger wheel, cosmetic appearance.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Most of the roads I drive on are very good TBH, but it only needs one pot hole on a road you don’t know, in the rain lol, to cause havoc on your journey. I most definitely wouldn’t drive a truck, I prefer to just use smaller wheels and more tyre sidewall. I know this doesn’t guarantee I won’t get a puncture, but it lowers the risk.

For me, a smaller wheel gives the following benefits in no particular order, better ride quality, less chance of wheel damage, better feedback of the tyre slip angle, lighter wheel for better suspension performance due to lower unsprung weight, more tyre choice, cheaper tyres, less aero drag due to a lower speed of the outer part of the spoke relative to the airflow compared to a larger wheel, less wheel to clean!!

Benefits of a larger wheel, cosmetic appearance.

Yep, appearance is what sells them.