Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

work from home - battery degredation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Working from home, i won't drive the car much and most time will be spent out in snow. Plan to get heated garage next year.

Is this the right car for me or get an ICE?

You already had a model 3 so you should know this already.

sold mine last year 2021 sr+ 58k 10000km cragsilist

Reactions: Lon12 and SilverGS
You already had a model 3 so you should know this already.

sold it few months after owning because moved provinces (much colder region and no garage for a year unlike before).

used to drive daily then and frequent charging even if not using (Granted sentry mode used to be on)

Where did you move to? Not sure about the new iron batteries, but the standard chemistry batteries technically degrade less in cold weather.
Cold temps just mean:
The battery chemistry reaction slows to the point that a decent chunk of you range is unusable
The cabin heater sucks more energy
Supercharging a cold battery is painfully slow.

If you have an ICE car for road trips, a Tesla is still a decent option, but I wouldn't rely on it as my only car, especially if you've moved to the prairie provinces.

Where did you move to? Not sure about the new iron batteries, but the standard chemistry batteries technically degrade less in cold weather.
Cold temps just mean:
The battery chemistry reaction slows to the point that a decent chunk of you range is unusable
The cabin heater sucks more energy
Supercharging a cold battery is painfully slow.

If you have an ICE car for road trips, a Tesla is still a decent option, but I wouldn't rely on it as my only car, especially if you've moved to the prairie provinces.
move to alberta and should be getting 2022 model 3 sr+ next month

move to alberta and should be getting 2022 model 3 sr+ next month
You might pay a few $ in electricity costs every month, just to have it sit there, but it shouldn't harm the car, just as long as you run the occasional errand.

Do you anticipate having to return to the office in the future? Seems like a lot of money to spend a car that won't be used much.

You might pay a few $ in electricity costs every month, just to have it sit there, but it shouldn't harm the car, just as long as you run the occasional errand.

Do you anticipate having to return to the office in the future? Seems like a lot of money to spend a car that won't be used much.
nope the company is in usa.

i paid 52k including rims, now its 62k. i still plan road trips to rockies. I've thouoght of trading in for ICE, assuming i'll be paid 62k...

used to drive daily then and frequent charging even if not using (Granted sentry mode used to be on)
Yeah, Sentry mode burns electrons. Really needs to be plugged in (even 120VAC) if left for any length of time with Sentry on.

OTH, our Toronto condo parking is secure but no charging for the M3LR is available. So we leave Sentry off, even disable cellular access when left for a long time. Only lost about 175 Wh/day over last December.

And the battery capacity doesn't seem to have changed any over the 8 months we've had the car.