Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worn out rear tires at 13000 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have someone check the rear toe. That could be the problem but it sounds like the RWD just wears out the rears faster.
Personally I just measure the tread depth to see if the tires need to be rotated. Many manufacturers no longer recommend rotating tires.

Almost any tread wear warranty requires rotations (or is halved on staggered installs where you can't rotate). Presumably, if you had rotated you would have got 20k+ out of the set, since the fronts are still around half of the usable tread.

Some of my new cars have come with the manufacturer's tire warranty, others without. Presumably, it depends on the contract between the vehicle and tire manufacturer. In any case, the Michelin warranty requires rotation every 6-8k miles and wouldn't be valid.

The torque on Teslas will eat the tires if you're not gentle, my Model X got new tires at 13k miles and I'm close to needing replacements again at 25k. I'll at least get some prorated warranty on the 2nd set, even though I'm staggered and can't rotate (means the rear warranty is reduced to 25k).

Rotation is a must if you can do it, especially with the RWD.

EDIT: I won't be surprised if tire manufactures start specifically excluding EVs from tread wear warranties. The low end torque just eats them up.

My last car, rear wheels only lasted 7,500 miles each vs 15,000 miles in the front (summer performance tires). Stop and go traffic puts more wear on tires than highway driving. RWD puts more pressure on rear tires especially if you are doing hard accelerations as this shifts weight to the rear (not as much on EVs than ICE due to lower center of gravity). The regen will wear out rear tires faster as the front does not have regen (this only applies to RWD Tesla's) vs regular braking that tends to put more pressure on the front tires.

Making sure car alignment is ok and rotating tires helps extend the wear overall, even if you get charged $75 for tire rotation.

On the bright side, it's a good excuse to get better tires on your car.

Reactions: mmccking
Exactly. The tires are not warrantied by Tesla. However, they should be warrantied by the manufacturer of the tire which is Michelin. All new vehicles I’ve purchased in the past have come with tire warranties which are warrantied by the tire manufacturer.
Warranties on OEM tires typically only cover defects, not wear. Even https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=50 says
Treadlife/mileage warranties typically do not apply to tires fitted as Original Equipment on new vehicles (unless specifically included by the tire manufacturer). Replacement tires covered by a treadlife/mileage warranty have the warranty cost factored into their price.

Warranties on OEM tires typically only cover defects, not wear. Even https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=50 says
From Michelin’s web site:

Mileage Warranties & Limited Warranty

All MICHELIN® tires4 (both Replacement & Original Equipment) come with a limited warranty for treadwear, as well as a limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. Mileage treadwear warranties vary by tire line. For the specific mileage treadwear warranty for your MICHELIN® tire, see Michelin Brand Mileage Treadwear Warranties.

When tires are equal size front and rear, my understanding is that tire rotation is recommended. I am unclear as to why you did not rotate.

That said, I am surprised that your rear tires are down to the wear bars at 13,000 miles. I would continue to press Tesla for free replacements.

Are you saying that is what Michelin claims the tire life is?

I wanted to rotate at 6250 miles, but when the Tesla Service Center said $75 for a rotation, I thought to myself "Well, looks like I'm not rotating!!!".

I know, but they and Michelin will find some excuse not to give it. Maybe if I could at least get free installation of replacements, that'd be good.

I just grabbed 50,000 as a general number, many new tires are good for 50K or more.

In the early 2000s, I had a couple 1989 Dodge Spirits with 2.5 Turbo engines. They could do some Tesla-like launches with a few mods. I'd wear out front tires pretty quickly, but the rears would last a long time as long as I had done the alignment well with the wedges / shims to adjust the angles. The rears are just holding up the back end of FWD cars, they don't do much else.

I'm curious to see how fast P3D cars eat their tires.

Last edited:
From Michelin’s web site:

Mileage Warranties & Limited Warranty

All MICHELIN® tires4 (both Replacement & Original Equipment) come with a limited warranty for treadwear, as well as a limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. Mileage treadwear warranties vary by tire line. For the specific mileage treadwear warranty for your MICHELIN® tire, see Michelin Brand Mileage Treadwear Warranties.
Michelin seems to be an interesting exception.

I already posted what Tirerack and Bridgestone Firestone say. My current car and my former 04 Nissan 350Z came w/Bridgestone tires.

My 06 Prius came w/Goodyear Integrities. Goodyear Tread Life Limited Warranty | Goodyear Tires says
However, the Tread Life Limited Warranty does not apply to tires:
  • Supplied as original equipment
My mother's 07 Altima Hybrid came with Continental Tires. The warranty booklet in the section that applies to Continental says under the General Exclusions section "Company does not offer tread wearout coverage up to a predetermined mileage under this Policy."

I’m at 3/32” on the rear with 5k miles. Just had them rotated. Going to try and see if Michelin will replace them...didn’t even make it to the recommended rotation mileage.

That is crazy. Is it 3/32" across the whole tread section? I don't understand how they can wear that much especially when they're designed to have less rolling resistance.