Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worn out rear tires at 13000 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm replacing all four tires on my Leaf at 20K miles and that's with nonspirited driving. I think OEM tires are crap tires built for a contract price even if the tire model is sold separately. And, EV torque is hard on tires.

People have done warranty claims for that in the UK. Maybe it's different in the US.

I'm replacing all four tires on my Leaf at 20K miles and that's with nonspirited driving. I think OEM tires are crap tires built for a contract price even if the tire model is sold separately. And, EV torque is hard on tires.
This is similar to mine and others experience with the Leaf. I attribute it to all city driving, with lots of turning. I’ve never obtained the rated tire distance before replacing on any of my vehicles due to my reduced driving distances and in-town driving. My S70D at 45,000 mi is the farthest I’ve ever been on a single set of tires, OEM or otherwise. Another factor has been the time (<4 yr) and nearly 100% highway miles.

Reactions: suwaneedad
People have done warranty claims for that in the UK. Maybe it's different in the US.
If you're talking about Leaf in the US, for the longest time, the only tires the Leaf came with were the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422. Bridgestone and it seems like most original equipment tires (except apparently Michelin) have no mileage warranty.

Attached snippet from the US '13 Leaf warranty booklet.

What I posted from Tirerack at Worn out rear tires at 13000 miles? seems to confirm the industry norm. My other previous cars going back to the 04 model year came with Bridgestone tires and another w/Goodyear Integrities. Neither had any mileage warranty on the original factory equipped tires.

Attachments

• bridgestone.png
    bridgestone.png
    41 KB · Views: 102
I wanted to rotate at 6250 miles, but when the Tesla Service Center said $75 for a rotation, I thought to myself "Well, looks like I'm not rotating!!!".

I know, but they and Michelin will find some excuse not to give it. Maybe if I could at least get free installation of replacements, that'd be good.

I just grabbed 50,000 as a general number, many new tires are good for 50K or more.

In the early 2000s, I had a couple 1989 Dodge Spirits with 2.5 Turbo engines. They could do some Tesla-like launches with a few mods. I'd wear out front tires pretty quickly, but the rears would last a long time as long as I had done the alignment well with the wedges / shims to adjust the angles. The rears are just holding up the back end of FWD cars, they don't do much else.

I'm curious to see how fast P3D cars eat their tires.

https://www.americastire.com/learn/michelin-promise-plan

You can get some credit as long as your tires are worn relatively evenly. Contact a Discount tire/America's tire https://www.tires.com. They also do free rotations and free flat repairs.

The stock 18" tires are really not designed to last long for the amount of instant torque of a Model 3. You trade a significant amount of handling, traction and stopping distance for range. Tesla put the best tire for range on the car. Once you change the tires out with something else you will lose some range but traction and handling increases dramatically. You don't see BMW M3's or Audi S4's etc with stock all season tires and Tesla's definitely should not have them either.

Back when I had the Roadster, not only were the rear tires quite a bit larger, in general the community replaced the rear tires 2x the time (sometimes 3) of the fronts depending on how aggressive the driver was (or how much fun they had)

Roadsters are extremely rear weight biased and with putting down that much torque and regen force on top, it wasn't surprising the wear characteristics were biased towards needing new rear tires more often

To those who poo-poo rotating tires, it's a personal choice. If you burn through tires fairly quickly it's probably no biggie but in general I'd rather replace all 4 at the same time so the rubber compounds are as close to similar, the age of those same compounds is more similar, etc.. plus if I decide on a different brand or model, that works out best too for tread pattern etc. One other thing to consider, the TPMS sensors have a fixed life, 6 years or so one hopes? Swapping out all 4 tires at the same time lends to replacing them together as well, when needed

Will get pics of my OEM 19" later in the light, they have about 9k miles on them.. but they didn't look to me like immediate replacement was coming up (they were rotated at 6500)

• Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
Just to add some unverified information to the discussion...

Talking to places like Discount Tire, I've heard that OEM tire's are 'typically' softer and not the same hardness as a tire you get aftermarket, even if you go with the same exact tire. The reasoning I heard was that the softer tire rides better, is quieter, grips better and hopefully helps with the sale of a vehicle.

It's been my experience with all the new vehicles I've purchased, the OEM tires did NOT last as long the next set of aftermarket tires I've purchased.

As promised, some pics

Note the tires on this car had approx 6500 miles on a RWD drive Model 3; they have a little over 2500 miles now on a Performance Model 3, they were swapped so RWD rear tires are now up front on the P3

Driver front penny test
driverFront.jpg

Driver rear penny test
driver rear.jpg

Head on driver front
headonDriveFront.jpg

There's tons of sites that explain above like The Penny Test: Measuring Tire Tread Depth | Tire America

Oddly one of a few things seem obvious

- I screwed up my penny placement on the rear tire
- the P is already showing signs of wearing the rears more?
- the RWD somehow wore the front ones more / alignment was off on the RWD

I may have to redo the shots later today with a ruler or something

I just had my RWD 3 in for service over the weekend and when I picked it up on Monday they mentioned that one of the tires is down to 5/32. The others are not quite as bad as that but more worn than I would expect after just 8100 miles. My constant launching at traffic lights is definitely not helping the situation. I’ll be looking at tires with a higher wear rating when it comes time to replace them.

• Funny
Reactions: suwaneedad
What is the correct way? I thought and X for RWD cars. But the SC did front to back only on each side.

The OEM Michelin tires are not directional, so technically a "rearward cross" would be the correct way for a RWD car. It is also what Michelin recommends for these tires. I don't know if there's a particular reason the SC would do front to back. Maybe there are other vehicles (S/X) that have directional tires so it's just easier to swap front and back on all cars?

From Michelin’s web site:

Mileage Warranties & Limited Warranty

All MICHELIN® tires4 (both Replacement & Original Equipment) come with a limited warranty for treadwear, as well as a limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread, or for 6 years from date of purchase, whichever occurs first. Mileage treadwear warranties vary by tire line. For the specific mileage treadwear warranty for your MICHELIN® tire, see Michelin Brand Mileage Treadwear Warranties.
This might be an update to what you posted before.

I found the above verbiage at Tire Warranty | Michelin Promise Plan but there's this verbiage now
All MICHELIN passenger and light truck replacement tires are covered by a limited mileage warranty. Original Equipment tires starting with 2018 model year vehicles are excluded from mileage warranty coverage.

This might be an update to what you posted before.

I found the above verbiage at Tire Warranty | Michelin Promise Plan but there's this verbiage now
Yeah, for whatever reason they changed their OEM warranty coverage recently (believe it was about a month or so ago). I’m assuming that if you had your car prior to them changing their verbiage you’d still be covered but I’m not sure? Pretty crappy move on their part in my opinion. I’m going to contact them and will post any updates

Reactions: TomB985
@cwerdna @ebmcs03 Ok, so I contacted Michelin and here’s an excerpt of the text chat:

“Jose G (6/3/2019, 5:53:37 PM): 2018 original equipment tires do not have a tread wear warranty. They are warrantied for 6 years for manufacturer defects, however.”

This is totally opposite of what their website stated up until a few months ago regarding a Treadwear warranty for OEM tires. So much for honoring a warranty. I will definitely base future purchase decisions on this one fact.

So what makes OEM tires different and are excluded?
I'm pretty sure it's a means of cutting costs and also the automaker getting them cheap. It's totally standard industry practice.

If you saw my earlier post, I already cited this specific exclusion of OEM tires for treadwear warranty for Goodyear, Bridgestone Firestone and Continental. I was surprised to find that Michelin did previously include a OEM tires as part of their treadwear warranty. Now, they've fallen in line w/the (most of? all of?) the rest of the industry.

The internet wayback machine still has copies of the website from earlier this year that included OEM tires in the treadwear warranty.

That said- all I believe you'd get is a prorated replacement of the original tires, which for the 18s/19s anyway I wouldn't want anyway.

Reactions: C141medic