Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worth reselling and buying another MYLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
This could be a dumb question, but I would really appreciate your advice on this. I am in a situation where I can sell my 23 MYLR for a very good price. It has ~5000 mileage and one accident ~10k worth (front bumper and some internal components replacement.) I will buy another MYLR in this case and I need it soon so the only MY I can buy within my time frame is the ones with 20' induction tires. I did some calculations and it is going to end up costing me extra $4000 to make a switch to new MYLR with same options but with 20" induction. Do you guys think it is worth it?

It depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle, how much do you value induction wheels, and whether owning a repaired car is going to bother you.

Me personally, it seems like a lot of hassle and $ to go through to end up with the same car.

Reactions: Yelobird
Me personally, it seems like a lot of hassle and $ to go through to end up with the same car.

You should detail for us all the costs (Delivery, DMV, Sales Taxes...) for the previous and the new car,
and how much resale value and IRA Tax discount you will have.

Honestly, replacing a car with the same model (not because you need a bigger or a smaller car),
occurs because of its high mileage or some deffects, or warranty expiration, or the new model has a new feature you like...
Why not wait for the Highlander Model 3 version in this case?

About the $4,000 maybe you should buy some TSLA, and when you will plan to sale your current car,
selling then your TSLA will pay you the difference between your car resale value and a new car value :)

You should detail for us all the costs (Delivery, DMV, Sales Taxes...) for the previous and the new car,
and how much resale value and IRA Tax discount you will have.
I considered all fees and tax in account. It is about $4000 difference in the end to switch to the same color with 20 tires or $1000 more from that to go up to PERF with base white color..
Main thing is that I was actually surprised with the offer I got with my current vehicle. It is definitely a good offer at 51k.

I considered all fees and tax in account. It is about $4000 difference in the end to switch to the same color with 20 tires or $1000 more from that to go up to PERF with base white color..
Main thing is that I was actually surprised with the offer I got with my current vehicle. It is definitely a good offer at 51k.
What insane individual offered you $52k for a used wrecked Model Y when they can get a brand new unwrecked one for $52,999?

basically ~5000 miles old car with one accident in record to new car with 20 wheels for $4000
One could say your basically paying $2,000 for 5,000 miles of use. Its not a whole lot of money, but personally I might keep the $4,000 and run the car for a couple of years. Either way its not a huge amount of money, and if you can afford to pay it I say go with your gut.

Basically dealers make money not by selling cars, but by selling leases.

Dealers dont make any more money from leasing cars than from selling them. They try to get interest rate / money factor pack from both, but other than that, a car DEALER doesnt make any more money from either one of those. Car dealers make money in general from service on vehicles, and sales of maintenance plans / warranties on new vehicles (which they try to do on both lease and purchases).

Hi all,
This could be a dumb question, but I would really appreciate your advice on this. I am in a situation where I can sell my 23 MYLR for a very good price. It has ~5000 mileage and one accident ~10k worth (front bumper and some internal components replacement.) I will buy another MYLR in this case and I need it soon so the only MY I can buy within my time frame is the ones with 20' induction tires. I did some calculations and it is going to end up costing me extra $4000 to make a switch to new MYLR with same options but with 20" induction. Do you guys think it is worth it?
Did you get the offer from private party or dealer? I'm currently on the same boat as you. Thanks