Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would 245/45R19/XL tires fit on a performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if its ok to go down one size on the width? I know in some cases you can go up a size but the winter tire options right now are very scarce and I found a set with a lower width size. The load index is a little lower but should be OK. Thanks a lot!

Does anyone know if its ok to go down one size on the width? I know in some cases you can go up a size but the winter tire options right now are very scarce and I found a set with a lower width size. The load index is a little lower but should be OK. Thanks a lot!
On a Performance, I would not go narrower. The stock tires are already too narrow and very stretched on the stock ubertine rims. If you go narrower for winter, you might as well buy a second set of rims/wheels for that specific purpose.

Hmm, I might have misunderstood the question, so if you're asking if you can use a narrower tire with matching rims, the answer is yes.

Last edited:
On a Performance, I would not go narrower. The stock tires are already too narrow and very stretched on the stock ubertine rims. If you go narrower for winter, you might as well buy a second set of rims/wheels for that specific purpose.

Hmm, I might have misunderstood the question, so if you're asking if you can use a narrower tire with matching rims, the answer is yes.
OP: Which wheels?
Sorry, I should have clarified, I intend on putting 19 gemini wheels on. But I cannot find OEM winter tires that I want for them so I checked one width size down and found some.

We put 255/45/19 Michelins on Geminis on my wife's MYP, and the tire looks super stretched as it is. I cannot imagine a narrower tire working well. I snapped this pic as a joke between her car and my Land Cruiser, but it shows how stretched the tire is on the Tesla and how exposed the rim is especially compared with how an off road tire does just the opposite and protects the rim.

AM-JKLXo62SeAXWKDOqB5bq357h8-rRDt0j6Z3SGUctm7VPQmpuMHyRZlCeGnfXkrPxv8yKnx2Muy_Hb5VCSELJj84jVyeyzgM5cmkYIaKKu2xm3Y0VhY4Zg4_PhInvjZX4a3k6x1XQo5BsDJzARP1HK-zojbA=w1250-h937-no

We put 255/45/19 Michelins on Geminis on my wife's MYP, and the tire looks super stretched as it is. I cannot imagine a narrower tire working well. I snapped this pic as a joke between her car and my Land Cruiser, but it shows how stretched the tire is on the Tesla and how exposed the rim is especially compared with how an off road tire does just the opposite and protects the rim.

AM-JKLXo62SeAXWKDOqB5bq357h8-rRDt0j6Z3SGUctm7VPQmpuMHyRZlCeGnfXkrPxv8yKnx2Muy_Hb5VCSELJj84jVyeyzgM5cmkYIaKKu2xm3Y0VhY4Zg4_PhInvjZX4a3k6x1XQo5BsDJzARP1HK-zojbA=w1250-h937-no
I thought OEM size was 255/45/19 on the Gemini’s though.