Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would rims from a place other than Tesla and Tesla based companies work on the 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I want to get rims outside of what Tesla and Tesla focused companies like T sportline/RPM have to offer. Is that possible? If so how would I know which 18 or 19" wheels would work on the Model 3?

I chose the 18" wheels because they look so much nicer than the updated 19" sport wheels by Tesla. Those are
just so boring and don't look like something one paid extra for.

Absolutely. You can get any RIM that fits the following specs:

· Size: Any ( 18, 19, 20 )

· Offset: +40

· PCD: 5X114.3

· Center Bore: 64.1mm

· Lug Nut Spec: 13/16 Hex, 14X1.50 Thread

· Lug Nut Torque Spec: 129 lb-ft

· Details: This is the original base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model 3 free of charge.

Give your 3rd party rim company/person those specs and your new rims will be sure to clear the brake calipers. That's the main thing.....clearing the brake calipers and getting the bolt pattern (PCD) correct.

• Informative
Reactions: jaguar36

· Details: This is the original base model wheel that comes with every Tesla Model 3 free of charge.

Give your 3rd party rim company/person those specs and your new rims will be sure to clear the brake calipers. That's the main thing.....clearing the brake calipers and getting the bolt pattern (PCD) correct.

Thank you so much! Can you not edit post here? lol

Also, you can get a wheel with a larger center bore, you just need centering rings to size down.

For offset, you will be fine +/- 5 mm (it would offset your wheel less than ¼").

As far as editing, you need to have a certain amount of posts before you can edit (or rate posts and add a profile picture). I think it is either 5 or 10 posts.

Also, you can get a wheel with a larger center bore, you just need centering rings to size down.

For offset, you will be fine +/- 5 mm (it would offset your wheel less than ¼").

As far as editing, you need to have a certain amount of posts before you can edit (or rate posts and add a profile picture). I think it is either 5 or 10 posts.

Thanks, appreciate it. I really like these forums and how everyone helps each other w different things.

Personally, I'm choosing aftermarket wheels for my summer (Michelin Pilots)
and keeping the original 18" aero's for the Canadian winter (with snow tires)

However, unspring weight should be tantamount in your decision of aftermarket wheels.
Looks are pretty important too!

I'm going with Velocity Motor Wheels (VMR) as they perfectly match the factory Tesla wheel dimensions
Home Page - VMR Wheels

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
This is important. I had a bent rim on a semi-beater a several years ago and I found a deal that made some cheap aftermarket rims cheaper than a single factory rim (even a used one). Discount Tire didn't include centering rings. I was back there probably a dozen times (to 3 different locations} with what I thought were balance issues before one of them figured out what the problem really was. The wheel wasn't centered properly on the hub.

Got these from EVdirect

Attachments

• IMG_2865.JPG
    IMG_2865.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2833.JPG
    IMG_2833.JPG
    598.8 KB · Views: 52