Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would tesla offer incentive to AP2.0 with FSD to get new cars ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to twitter and unlikely the below tweet will reach elon or tesla.. but its worth a shot..

Assumption is tesla is getting to realise that AP2.0 to 3.0 upgrade that it promised it going to be rather expensive, I am basing this on 2 simple observation (I may be 100% wrong) On its used cars tesla is removing FSD options and in the recent earnings they have increase allocation towards repairs and warranties

To move to AP3.0 other than the computer, i am assuming the radar, camera systems and MCU need to be upgraded. This may mean about $10K to 15K investment.. would offering that to current owners as an incentive help them sell new cars ? trade in your old car+ get 15K towards new car..

Vaibhav Arora on Twitter

The point still stands. Tesla’s business model involves selling as many new cars as possible and they do not offer incentives to upgrade.

Buy new, or go away is the motto.

And AP1 was “sold” as doing a lot more than it is currently capable of. Sometimes Tesla just flat out lies.
d.PNG
Nothing "extra" was ever sold on the website as an option or outlined in the purchase agreement for AP1 cars. AP2 and above were blatantly sold on FSD, though no timeline was ever stated. There's a class action here AP1 and Pre-AP owners have no equity in.

They're going to have to decide pretty soon what to do.

The cheapest option would be to simply offer refunds.

Like full $3K -> $5K FSD refund for those who accept FSD deletion
Or FSD for free on a trade-in

If someone declines both of those offers then do the costly upgrade.

They're going to have to decide pretty soon what to do.

The cheapest option would be to simply offer refunds.

Like full $3K -> $5K FSD refund for those who accept FSD deletion
Or FSD for free on a trade-in

If someone declines both of those offers then do the costly upgrade.
Hardware differences such as redundant wiring and steering motors may not be required unless mandated by law, so any hardware swap costs shouldn't be THAT bad. They could probably make it work with the current cameras and MCU, though it would have to be creative and tedious. Not ideal trying to actively support older cars while still developing new tech for new cars.

According to my purchase agreement, I expect an equal FSD feature set as all the other (currently MCU2 only) HW3 upgraded cars in a reasonable time period from now, or a buyback. If a discounted upgrade option were presented, that would be something to consider, but I doubt it will come to this. They will upgrade us to MCU2 if they must, but my bet is on an MCU1 software upgrade path. If they do the MCU2 upgrades for our FSD cars, at least they would resupply their MCU1 refurb stock for that 5 year $2200 maintenance item.

The point still stands. Tesla’s business model involves selling as many new cars as possible and they do not offer incentives to upgrade.

Buy new, or go away is the motto.

And AP1 was “sold” as doing a lot more than it is currently capable of. Sometimes Tesla just flat out lies.
They actually do offer incentives to upgrade / buy a new Tesla, which is reflected in both their offer for current owners to receive Ludicrous mode at no additional cost when buying a new Performance model, or the continuation of UFSC for the purchase of a new Tesla. If you’re point is that they have yet to offer incentive to upgrade for those that have features that are unfulfilled or yet unrealized, then I agree, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

According to my purchase agreement, I expect an equal FSD feature set as all the other (currently MCU2 only) HW3 upgraded cars in a reasonable time period from now, or a buyback. If a discounted upgrade option were presented, that would be something to consider, but I doubt it will come to this. They will upgrade us to MCU2 if they must, but my bet is on an MCU1 software upgrade path. If they do the MCU2 upgrades for our FSD cars, at least they would resupply their MCU1 refurb stock for that 5 year $2200 maintenance item.

@jason1466 and @Ryshaw did either of you get the 36.2.1 yet ?

They actually do offer incentives to upgrade / buy a new Tesla, which is reflected in both their offer for current owners to receive Ludicrous mode at no additional cost when buying a new Performance model, or the continuation of UFSC for the purchase of a new Tesla. If you’re point is that they have yet to offer incentive to upgrade for those that have features that are unfulfilled or yet unrealized, then I agree, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

Nope. That was an end of the quarter sales push that lasted about a week before they just rolled it out to everyone.

If anything, it burned current owners when trading in. So not a very good incentive.

FUSC is a purchase incentive not an upgrade incentive.

View attachment 476697
Nothing "extra" was ever sold on the website as an option or outlined in the purchase agreement for AP1 cars. AP2 and above were blatantly sold on FSD, though no timeline was ever stated. There's a class action here AP1 and Pre-AP owners have no equity in.

So they’ll get sued again.

Just like the current batterygate/chargegate lawsuit that AP2 cars have no equity in.

Just another day and another lawsuit for Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Tesla has yet to do any MCU1 AP2.0 to HW3 and I am sure they would prefer that we "go away".

I would bet that Tesla will do everything possible to let these cars age out of the original warranty in the hopes to remove as many of these vehicles as they can from circulation.

Nothing particularly nefarious on Tesla's specifically - this is what any rational company would attempt to do.

Tesla is like fuuuu we gotta deal with 50,000 cars that will take the same effort as building 500,000.

Sucks for them but they have to find a way to make those owners whole.

Reactions: dragonxt and glide
Tesla has yet to do any MCU1 AP2.0 to HW3 and I am sure they would prefer that we "go away".

I would bet that Tesla will do everything possible to let these cars age out of the original warranty in the hopes to remove as many of these vehicles as they can from circulation.

Nothing particularly nefarious on Tesla's specifically - this is what any rational company would attempt to do.

Tesla is like fuuuu we gotta deal with 50,000 cars that will take the same effort as building 500,000.

Sucks for them but they have to find a way to make those owners whole.
I'm not sure I understand. Even if they are out of warranty, Tesla is still on the hook to provide FSD functionality for FSD cars. Why would warranty coverage make any difference?

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I'm not sure I understand. Even if they are out of warranty, Tesla is still on the hook to provide FSD functionality for FSD cars. Why would warranty coverage make any difference?

When you say they are “on the hook”, what exactly do you mean?

Remember when we were all supposed to get P100D loaner vehicles? Unless it’s written down somewhere on your order form, good luck getting it out of them.

When you say they are “on the hook”, what exactly do you mean?

Remember when we were all supposed to get P100D loaner vehicles? Unless it’s written down somewhere on your order form, good luck getting it out of them.
The website and Mulroney mentioned FSD when we bought our AP2 cars. They need to provide FSD.

They don't mention anything about getting a P100D loaner and I never expect to get one. We had a service visit this week and had to get by with a P85D.

Sorry, I am out of the loop on this - I thought the MCU has nothing to do with the upgrade from AP2.0 computer to FSD3.0 computer
Can someone elaborate on what hardware needs to be upgrade for FSD to function properly? Camera? Sensors?
It would be nice if we could get FSD3.0 computer now for dashcam functionality

It doesn't for FSD functionality / refits. But many Tesla owners try to trade up / sell their cars over keeping them without warranty.

At 4 years you are looking at:

5K for ESA + deductibles or 5K for a single major repair.

If you trade in to Tesla they wash their hands on that car being a liability.

Reactions: gangzoom
The website and Mulroney mentioned FSD when we bought our AP2 cars. They need to provide FSD.

They don't mention anything about getting a P100D loaner and I never expect to get one. We had a service visit this week and had to get by with a P85D.

Okay so they’ll just “re-define” what FSD is.

Don’t hold your breath for Tesla to make good on their promises is all I’m saying. I can’t think of a single instance where they have to-date.

It doesn't for FSD functionality / refits. But many Tesla owners try to trade up / sell their cars over keeping them without warranty.

I have no plans to trade in our AP2 FSD X, Tesla maybe slow but do usually deliver.

Many said the CCS adaptor would be 'impossible' yet we have one, adding HEPA filter as a retrofit, the 0-60 'uncorking' a few years back, had to wait 2 years but our referral PowerWall was installed last week.

Tesla time is though unpredictable.