Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you guys like to see Apple buy Telsa?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What Apple developed was evolutionary, not revolutionary. Microsoft had had full screen windows PDAs for a long time. And of course there were blackberry smartphones. It was obvious that these things were going to some together. Apple just did first, and did a better job than anybody else, and maybe they pushed things ahead a year.

What Tesla did was going to happen anyway, too. But I'd say that Tesla pushed it all ahead by a decade. Witness the fact that the competition still doesn't have a car equivalent to the 2012 Model S, 7 years later. It's still evolutionary, but a much much bigger leap.
I’m nitpicking, but what Apple did absolutely was revolutionary from a big picture standpoint.

First, no, they didn’t invent the smartphone market, per se. But they made quantum leaps ahead of everybody else in the market in regards to UI, design, and materials. Nothing even came close. Believe me. I searched over hill and dale for it because I didn’t wanna switch carriers for the iPhone. Nothing compared at the time. It was obvious that the iPhone was in a class by itself.

Secondly, they changed the whole relationship between cell carrier and cell manufacturer. Before the iPhone, the carriers had ALL the juice. They dictated form. They dictated desired features. They dictated carrier branding and bloatware all over the device. They dictated financial terms for purchasing, and they assumed most of the product responsibility since most customers purchased the phones from them. Steve Jobs literally blew ALL of this up. Now the manufacturers run the show on almost all of that.

Also, the release of the App Store created an entirely new market.

It’s silly to think that the same things that Apple did would have happened just a year later. Not even close. The very first Android design was a BlackBerry clone. When Andy Rubin, the head of Android at the time, saw the iPhone keynote, he immediately scrapped that design and went with a full screen device. Samsung wrote an entire company document on how to copy Apple’s UI designs, and then went ahead and did it.

Tesla did the exact same thing with auto design and sales strategy, but has had to endure a lot more BS getting to where they want to go. Fortunately for Apple, they didn’t have to deal with an entrenched anti-competitive lobby (like the slimy car dealers) greasing the palms of douchey senators and congressmen to rig the game for them.

Last edited:
I’m nitpicking, but what Apple did absolutely was revolutionary from a big picture standpoint.

First, no, they didn’t invent the smartphone market, per se. But they made quantum leaps ahead of everybody else in the market in regards to UI, design, and materials. Nothing even came close. Believe me. I searched over hill and dale for it because I didn’t wanna switch carriers for the iPhone. Nothing compared at the time. It was obvious that the iPhone was in a class by itself.

Secondly, they changed the whole relationship between cell carrier and cell manufacturer. Before the iPhone, the carriers had ALL the juice. They dictated form. They dictated desired features. They dictated carrier branding and bloatware all over the device. They dictated financial terms for purchasing, and they assumed most of the product responsibility since most customers purchased the phones from them. Steve Jobs literally blew ALL of this up. Now the manufacturers run the show on almost all of that.

It’s silly to think that the same things that Apple did would have happened just a year later. Not even close. The very first Android design was a BlackBerry clone. When Andy Rubin, the head of Android at the time, saw the iPhone keynote, he immediately scrapped that design and went with a full screen device. Samsung wrote an entire company document on how to copy Apple’s UI designs, and then went ahead and did it.

Tesla did the exact same thing with auto design and sales strategy, but has had to endure a lot more BS getting to where they want to go. Fortunately for Apple, they didn’t have to deal with an entrenched anti-competitive lobby (like the slimy car dealers) greasing the palms of douchey senators and congressmen to rig the game for them.

Don’t forget big oil....

Apple could provide an endless amount of money to improve the technology and improve immensely the logistics and customer service relationship. On the down side, Elon's genius innovations may not be allowed to flourish under Apple's control. Personally it seems like a no brainer to me because Apple's strength are in the exact areas that Tesla is weak in. If they would allow Elon to continue to innovate and throw things at the wall and see what sticks then it could be a marriage made in heaven. I would imagine Ford and Chevy would not want to see a Tesla with an unlimited amount of cash to work with.

Never!

Yeah... I'm not seeing it. Making a prettier UI isn't revolutionary. It's evolutionary, driven by improvements in battery tech and display tech.

Upending a 100 year old technology that has spawned entire industries and economies, with those same industries desperately hoping you'll fail, and trying to make you fail... that's revolutionary.

Yeah... I'm not seeing it. Making a prettier UI isn't revolutionary. It's evolutionary, driven by improvements in battery tech and display tech.

Upending a 100 year old technology that has spawned entire industries and economies, with those same industries desperately hoping you'll fail, and trying to make you fail... that's revolutionary.
You’re not seeing it cause you’re not looking at the whole shebang. The UI was the first step. It goes WAY beyond that.

And using you’re logic, one could say Tesla is simply evolutionary, driven by improvements in battery tech. Tesla didn’t invent the auto industry. But we all agree they turned it on it’s head. Apple did the same thing with the cell phone and all the industries and economies associated with it.

You’re not seeing it cause you’re not looking at the whole shebang. The UI was the first step. It goes WAY beyond that.

And using you’re logic, one could say Tesla is simply evolutionary, driven by improvements in battery tech. Tesla didn’t invent the auto industry. But we all agree they turned it on it’s head. Apple did the same thing with the cell phone and all the industries and economies associated with it.

Not buying. In terms of leaps of imagination, overcoming barriers to customer adoption and potential to change direction of society from that which otherwise have been, there is simply no comparison. Tesla and the iPhone came about at roughly the same time. Had Apple not come out with the iPhone, I'm quite convinced that we'd be more-or-less where we are now - with somewhat different players. I suspect that Microsoft would have some up with a more phone-suitable OS and an App store within a few years. And Blackberry would have eventually gotten there too.

I am not convinced at-all, that without Tesla, we would be anywhere close to where we are on the curve of EV adoption. I think we'd have the big automakers futzing around the outside, making glorified golf carts with no charging infrastructure.

Finally, in terms of impact on society, EVs and the rapid advances in battery & charging tech that we've seen have the potential to completely remake our energy system. And it has the real potential to dig us out of the GW pit that we're mired in. The iPhone.. meh. It's a pretty interface, but it's not had a huge effect on the structure of society. Arguably it's had a negative effect as people waste incredible amounts to finite life on absurd social media apps.

Yes. At least if they sell you something outrageously expensive, they usually deliver.

I’d rather do business with a company that sells a real $1000 monitor stand than a $6000 robotaxi “upgrade” that only exists in fantasy world.