Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wouldn't it be nice if Tesla Mobile Service could repair rim rash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I'm only looking to add cosmetic fixes to Mobile Services offerings. If it's bent or it's structural, bring it in
  • I think ALL Tesla's rims extend BEYOND the tire, such that if you light skim a curb while parking, you will scrape metal (vs every other car I've owned that rubs the tire sidewall before the rim). This is confirmed for Model 3 18" and 19"....20"? or MS/MX?
  • This thread wasn't to discuss how great drivers never do this. Nor was it intended for someone who rams into a curb at speed...it's more for the light and accidental skim that results in ugly rim rash that Tesla's are prone to. I now observe every Model 3 I walk past and MOST have rim rash

I didn't mean for my comment to be attacking, sorry if it was interpreted that way.

My point was more there are plenty of mobile vendors that specialize in rim repair and I would rather have people use them than further tax the already understaffed Rangers.

As far a size of tire to wheel, 235s are better suited to 8" wheels, however, even with the tire sticking out farther on another car, the rubber moves out of the way quickly when it comes to contact with concrete. Of course, my old Xterra with All Terrain tires never had an issue with rim rash!

Has anyone checked with their local Tesla service center. I don't know if they still do this, but the Tampa service center used to keep a supply of refurbished wheels in stock and would do a wheel swap for a couple hundred bucks. They would send your old busted wheel off to a local refinisher and then sell it to the next curb eater. They told me it was the most common service request that they got.