Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WoW! Netflix audio is super immersive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No I have an account. Some people won’t be sensitive to dropped frames - is my suspicion. Even a single one is obvious to me.

Well I'm just a normal person who is detail-oriented and loves nice smooth motion and it looks great to my eye. I've definitely been bugged by dropped frames on my home setup when having bandwidth issues but I didn't see anything like that in my testing of three or four titles.

Well I'm just a normal person who is detail-oriented and loves nice smooth motion and it looks great to my eye. I've definitely been bugged by dropped frames on my home setup when having bandwidth issues but I didn't see anything like that in my testing of three or four titles.

Checked again with the .11 update, watching some Stranger Things. It drops frames continually. Also, soccer is unwatchable on YouTube etc. For example try watching this in the car:

It’s flickering the whole time. So weird.

Can’t watch ANY soccer games in the car without flickering.

*edit*

Seems to be an issue with green in the YouTube app. American football is the same issue. Just search for any game and try and watch.

No such issue in the Netflix app watching soccer clips etc. so weird!

*edit*

Yep it’s an issue with green. Anyone else confirm this flickers?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Yeah, YouTube is not known for great video quality. It can be pretty bad even on my desktop. But I'm super impressed with Netflix in the Model 3. I don't know what the point of the green screen, etc. is, I just click the Netflix video I want to watch and it plays in all it's glory. I'm sure you can stretch it's capabilities by doing things that no one would ever need to do. I guess don't care enough about all green screens to bother testing it. I test it using it the actual way I use it.

Yeah, YouTube is not known for great video quality. It can be pretty bad even on my desktop. But I'm super impressed with Netflix in the Model 3. I don't know what the point of the green screen, etc. is, I just click the Netflix video I want to watch and it plays in all it's glory. I'm sure you can stretch it's capabilities by doing things that no one would ever need to do. I guess don't care enough about all green screens to bother testing it. I test it using it the actual way I use it.

@WilliamG was asking if anyone else sees flickering with the color green, and provided some source material for people to help him test. Hes watching football (soccer) and american football, both played in grass fields, which are green, and seeing dropped frames.

Hes not "stretching capabilities" hes asking if anyone else is seeing green flickering and since they would have to hunt for something with green on it, he provided that. He DID test it the "way he uses it".

@WilliamG I only looked for 10 minutes earlier, but will take a look with the content you linked to sometime tomorrow and see if I notice green flickering to answer your question.

@WilliamG was asking if anyone else sees flickering with the color green, and provided some source material for people to help him test. Hes watching football (soccer) and american football, both played in grass fields, which are green, and seeing dropped frames.

Hes not "stretching capabilities" hes asking if anyone else is seeing green flickering and since they would have to hunt for something with green on it, he provided that. He DID test it the "way he uses it".

@WilliamG I only looked for 10 minutes earlier, but will take a look with the content you linked to sometime tomorrow and see if I notice green flickering to answer your question.

Let me clarify here: the dropped frames and flickering are two very different issues. On green it’s LITERALLY flickering like a light bulb about to die.

Very interested to see what you see, when you get to test. Cheers!

Please read my post again. I just gave you an easy way to test flickering. Flickering is present in actual content (soccer for example).

Here’s what I see on green content like soccer:

Maybe something going on with your display. Try viewing photos with heavy green.

Hah. Shows what I know. A reboot fixed it. So I guess if...uh...your green is flickering....just reboot.

Move along, nothing to see (I guess a reference point for whomever else this affects).

Still drops frames, though. Many/most won’t notice. I’m hyper sensitive to it.

Just wanted to confirm the issues people here mentioned. I created a new thread about it before i saw this one. Seriously bad audio lag in all video apps (and all quality levels), that odd flickering with certain colors (I saw it in some yellows), and pretty consistent dropped frames no matter the quality level of the video.

It's great that the car can play video at all, but honestly it's not a great showing. Between the audio lag and stuttering i wouldn't want to watch anything longer than a minute or two.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Video quality is pretty good via NetFlix, but IMO the audio quality is 'ok'. I mean compared to say built in speakers of a home TV or an iPad it'll be terrific but really can't touch a decent 5.1 home setup.

Yeah, I think high-quality home theater systems with the better listening environment and bigger speakers probably will always have a little edge. I was just impressed because I've never heard anything that impressive, that immersive, in a car before.

Of course, a lot of it is the soundtrack of the movie you're listening to. It has to be well recorded and mastered to be at it's best. And movies do vary quite a bit in that regard.

I too am "into" home theater.

Just watched a bit of Incredibles 2 on Netflix...It sounds decent, but very likely two-channel Dolby Pro Logic with simulated surrounds, not even 2.1. A bit disappointed considering we have enough speakers for a 7.1 ATMOS setup, but maybe in some future update...fingers crossed :)

Ah I'm glad I'm not crazy. When Elon said surround was coming I was excited, but it's just stereo for now. Sounds good, but no front to rear effects at all that I can tell :(