Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WOW...Superbowl commercials taking aim at Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As opposed to regular ICE Porsches, you mean, which are excellent value for money compared to mid-market ICE vehicles from other vendors, you mean?

If you're into a Porsche car the Taycan really isn't that bad. If you buy a Porsche, you're not exactly going to buy it for the headroom in the back seats or the enormous trunk.

I just went to the Porsche dealership waiting for my wife's car to get an oil change. I cant imagine why they put a rear seat in the back of those cars. They had a 911 turbo targa or something and the leg clearance of the back seat was 4 inches MAX. I can't imagine ANYONE sitting back there for any length of time.

I just went to the Porsche dealership waiting for my wife's car to get an oil change. I cant imagine why they put a rear seat in the back of those cars. They had a 911 turbo targa or something and the leg clearance of the back seat was 4 inches MAX. I can't imagine ANYONE sitting back there for any length of time.

A lot of cars are like that / roadsters / sports cars have seats like that and the Y's 3rd row is probably going to be similar but maybe a little more room. It's kind of a better to have it than not situation for short term things.

As opposed to regular ICE Porsches, you mean, which are excellent value for money compared to mid-market ICE vehicles from other vendors, you mean?

If you're into a Porsche car the Taycan really isn't that bad. If you buy a Porsche, you're not exactly going to buy it for the headroom in the back seats or the enormous trunk.
I thought people bought Porsche for performance? What happened to that?

Way back when, I bought a new 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (turbo, AWD). I recall a review of it in a major car mag. One line I do remember, and it was something like the rear seats had enough leg room for two Japanese amputees. LOL

I thought people bought Porsche for performance? What happened to that?
The Taycan really is no slouch. And quite frugal despite the much bigger battery, at least at higher speeds. At 140km/h I'd struggle to achieve the same Wh/km on even a frugal RWD LR Model 3 with Aero wheels, let alone a P3D+.

Yeah, a plaid Model S might still beat it, especially in a straight line, but I doubt people buy sports cars for the handling in drag races ;-).

If money were no object, I were single, and I'd never have to transport anything (the model 3 is surprisingly Ikea-friendly, and I can fit a 400mm Dobsonian and two smaller telescopes plus all observing gear in it too -- wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in a Taycan) I wouldn't mind one, actually. Well, unless I'd have to live with the terrible attitude of Porsche dealers over here.

Ford Superbowl ad has Ford-modified Corvair keeping up nicely with traffic [@23sec]:

Corvair w hood scoop-2020-02-08.png

That Porsche commercial called the Heist is a good name for it, lower specs, higher priced...the Heist...I'll stick with Model S.

I wish Tesla could be braggable car status, like the way a Benz is. They need to consider making swaggy interiors, then we can have a perfect car with the Tesla platform, and the luxury interior of a Mercedes.

My dad drives a Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1 & my mom drives a Mercedes S-class. They bought me the Tesla b/c I was willing to give it a chance, b/c before that I was considering a Lexus RX or BMW SUV as my practical car. But I felt the Tesla Model 3 was the closest thing that let me have a practical car, but the instant acceleration for those "need for speed" moments.

I wish Tesla could be braggable car status, like the way a Benz is. They need to consider making swaggy interiors, then we can have a perfect car with the Tesla platform, and the luxury interior of a Mercedes.

My dad drives a Mercedes GLC AMG Edition 1 & my mom drives a Mercedes S-class. They bought me the Tesla b/c I was willing to give it a chance, b/c before that I was considering a Lexus RX or BMW SUV as my practical car. But I felt the Tesla Model 3 was the closest thing that let me have a practical car, but the instant acceleration for those "need for speed" moments.
Fair play. My parents put me on the insurance for my Dad’s Ford Cortina.

I fear we may have grown up in un-parallel universes.

The Taycan really is no slouch. And quite frugal despite the much bigger battery, at least at higher speeds. At 140km/h I'd struggle to achieve the same Wh/km on even a frugal RWD LR Model 3 with Aero wheels, let alone a P3D+.

Yeah, a plaid Model S might still beat it, especially in a straight line, but I doubt people buy sports cars for the handling in drag races ;-).

If money were no object, I were single, and I'd never have to transport anything (the model 3 is surprisingly Ikea-friendly, and I can fit a 400mm Dobsonian and two smaller telescopes plus all observing gear in it too -- wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell in a Taycan) I wouldn't mind one, actually. Well, unless I'd have to live with the terrible attitude of Porsche dealers over here.
I've never tried to put my 10" Dob in my Model 3. Hmmm...

Anyway, I think the thing about all the competing cars right now is the price to performance ratio and the charging network. While the Taycan and some others can perform well they are much more expensive and/or range and charging limited. On a more strategic level in manufacturing, Tesla is already running into battery availability issues even WITH their own Gigafactory. I can't imagine anyone is going to produce MORE EVs than Tesla in the near to medium term since no other company has a battery supply like Tesla. Now we're hearing noises about another Gigafactory being built for Tesla.