Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapped the inside of my steering wheel matte white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started off by asking a vendor if they could make a precut kit so I could do it without disassembling the steering wheel.

They said it would be very hard to get a good result, and after doing a mock up without taking the wheel off and then taking the wheel off, I would agree.

It would be especially hard around the contours of the lower piece, and then around the curves to the sides.

Instead of precut, you’d do better to try with bulk film and then trim it carefully. However, with the effort required to do the work with the wheel on and the lesser results, I think you would regret not taking the wheel off.

Wrapped off the car, the results look factory and like the piece is molded in white like the dash cap. No one could tell its a wrap.

Thanks for this diy! I can’t stop looking at that steering wheel man. Absolutely going to take it off one day haha

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I feel like if you are already disassembling the steering wheel that painting it might be the better option. Wrapping items is Ideal only when it’s not feasible to disassemble. Worst case you meet up with a fellow member and trade wheels to get back to stock. Dope no matter what but thinking if I’m gonna go through all this trouble I might as well paint it. Anyone have any thoughts on this thinking?

I feel like if you are already disassembling the steering wheel that painting it might be the better option. Wrapping items is Ideal only when it’s not feasible to disassemble. Worst case you meet up with a fellow member and trade wheels to get back to stock. Dope no matter what but thinking if I’m gonna go through all this trouble I might as well paint it. Anyone have any thoughts on this thinking?

I believe that the vendors selling $1-2k steering wheels are painting the plastic trim. They definitely aren’t wrapping it since it’s entirely white.

But I don’t agree that wrap can’t be as good as paint for this situation. It’s very durable and will last a really long time in an interior application, and it looks like the trim was molded in white plastic, so the appearance is on point.

Reactions: jaykaye
It's easy. 2 clips that push in to release the airbag then the mounting nut. At least you dont have to jamb into a tight space like changing cabin filters.

Did you have to remove the switches to remove the frame that you actually wrapped? From looking at the two videos after the steering wheel is removed you still break it down to the bare section?

Any chance you want to do it again and do a video of the whole process :D

Yes, break it all the way down to just the trim's frame. The video already shows how to remove the scroll wheels starting at 4:30 and ending at 4:53.

It's super easy and once you get the wheel mostly apart, the rest of the way will be obvious. Look at my pic of the bare trim to see the 3 screw holes on each side and the 2 at the bottom that are holding on the remaining pieces. So it's only 8 more screws to get it all the way apart after you do the main 4 screws. A total of 12 is not too intimidating.

Last edited: