Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping a White Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting my Performance Model Y in a few weeks and was planning on wrapping it. My initial inclination was to get white and save 1,000.00 since the car would be wrapped and nobody would see the white paint. However, two shops I went to said that the white would show through in some areas and to get a darker color. So, I went with MSM.

However, the showroom just called and let me know they have a Performance Model Y available in White that they could switch me into. Does anyone have any experience with getting their white Model Y wrapped? What did the end product look like?

I know from a monetary standpoint that paying 1,000.00 just to cover it up doesn't make much sense, but I'm basing it off of what the shop(s) told me.

I have a white Y with orange wrap built in the “ramp” phase with bad panel gaps. You can see white in places if you know where to look. I wish the company that did my wrap had used longer “returns” in places, but nobody really notices that.

Reactions: KJD
I have a white Y with orange wrap built in the “ramp” phase with bad panel gaps. You can see white in places if you know where to look. I wish the company that did my wrap had used longer “returns” in places, but nobody really notices that.
That’s a shame. Is there any way they can remedy that?

it doesn’t seem right.

That’s a shame. Is there any way they can remedy that?

it doesn’t seem right.
They improved the hatch, but the bottom line is that the gaps are far from consistent. From what I have heard, it is likely a function not of panel alignment but frame alignment, so making it perfect is near impossible. It stands out in certain lighting conditions and from some angles mostly… but when I wash the car it does make me sad. Oh well… it is part of our car’s personality now.

They improved the hatch, but the bottom line is that the gaps are far from consistent. From what I have heard, it is likely a function not of panel alignment but frame alignment, so making it perfect is near impossible. It stands out in certain lighting conditions and from some angles mostly… but when I wash the car it does make me sad. Oh well… it is part of our car’s personality now.
Hey, that's a good attitude. Your Y is unique.

I wish Tesla would offer a "paint delete" option. Let someone order it with just the primer. Maybe lower the MSRP by a few hundred dollars. I would have jumped on that seeing the myriad of colors one can get with a wrap.

Come on tesla think outside the paint booth.

I just had my white Model Y wrapped also in 3M Satin Canyon Copper

And yes, you can see white in the gaps, but I've grown used to that.

Question for you, Patrick66: Did they wrap over your front bumper tow hook cover? The wrapped over mine completely and when I asked them about that, they said they could fix it but white around the circular cover would be obvious.

I would hate to ruin and have to redo the wrap in the off chance I ever need to access that front tow hook. What do you think?

I'm also bringing it back because there are several corners that don't look good.

Final question: was your wrap shaggy around the door handles? My wrap is hanging down in spots around the handles.

I just had my white Model Y wrapped also in 3M Satin Canyon Copper

And yes, you can see white in the gaps, but I've grown used to that.

Question for you, Patrick66: Did they wrap over your front bumper tow hook cover? The wrapped over mine completely and when I asked them about that, they said they could fix it but white around the circular cover would be obvious.

I would hate to ruin and have to redo the wrap in the off chance I ever need to access that front tow hook. What do you think?

I'm also bringing it back because there are several corners that don't look good.

Final question: was your wrap shaggy around the door handles? My wrap is hanging down in spots around the handles.
I’ll have to check on the front tow cover; I think they wrapped the cover separately. Since it is also needed for disconnecting the 12V battery, it really should be clear… although if you use it I am sure you would end up needing to re-wrap it.

The ”slop” on mine is mainly on the side rear-view mirrors. The handles are reasonable. There are a few spots where the return is sub-optimal just for securing the wrap. I’ve gotten a bit of road rash on the bottom edge of the front, not sure if there is anything that you can really do about it.

I purposely got grey so that my wrap would blend more and I would like the color once the wrap needed to be removed in case I didn't want to wrap again. Glad I did because there's a lot of places the wrap doesn't quite get to and I didn't want to pay for wrapping inside the trim either.

Attachments

• 20210604_133505.jpg
    20210604_133505.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 6,831
  • 20210604_134630 (1).jpg
    20210604_134630 (1).jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 967
  • Resized_20210320_132208.jpeg
    Resized_20210320_132208.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 815
  • 638394918.jpg
    638394918.jpg