Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong location in the app while car is in drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen the app display the wrong location of the car a couple of times while the car was in park. What about while it was driving? Has anyone seen the car in motion in the app but at the wrong location, possibly showing a previous drive cycle?

I have seen the app display the wrong location of the car a couple of times while the car was in park. What about while it was driving? Has anyone seen the car in motion in the app but at the wrong location, possibly showing a previous drive cycle?
Wrong location meaning the address or are you talking about the actual location pin on the map? I frequently see the wrong address displayed no matter if moving or parked (it shows a previous address), but haven't seen the wrong location pin when it is in drive.

Note however the location of the car does not update if the car is not in drive (people have gotten their cars towed before and the location didn't update). It also obviously does not update if it is in an area with no reception (as it relies on the LTE or Wifi to send the location to the internet).

Hi, thanks for replying! I mean I was watching the car move along the map in the app on my phone, and the address matched the location where I saw the car. Everything in the app seemed normal. I'm told I was seeing a previous trip that the car had taken a few days prior and that it wasn't at the location where I saw it.

Wrong location meaning the address or are you talking about the actual location pin on the map? I frequently see the wrong address displayed no matter if moving or parked (it shows a previous address), but haven't seen the wrong location pin when it is in drive.

Note however the location of the car does not update if the car is not in drive (people have gotten their cars towed before and the location didn't update). It also obviously does not update if it is in an area with no reception (as it relies on the LTE or Wifi to send the location to the internet).
I think I previously replied to this incorrectly, sorry!
Hi, thanks for replying! I mean I was watching the car move along the map in the app on my phone, and the address matched the location where I saw the car. Everything in the app seemed normal. I'm told I was seeing a previous trip that the car had taken a few days prior and that it wasn't at the location where I saw it.

I have never seen or heard of that before. I have definitely seen the car location parked be incorrect, which can happen if the car has no connection, but I have never seen, nor read of someone looking at the view of the car moving in the app (showing location) and it being a trip from "a few days ago" while its showing as moving in the app.

This sounds a lot like someone used your car, went somewhere, you saw it in the app, and they are trying to tell you "it wasnt there" / " the car is lying to you about where I was".

TL ; DR = car parked, yes it can show the previous location, car shown as moving in the app, I have never seen it show a previous trip, nor have I read about it.

Could it happen (car showing as moving in the app but the trip is from a few days ago)? I guess? In Technology, its difficult to say "cant". I could also win the Lotto the next time I buy a ticket. I consider this as likely as me winning the lotto next time I buy a ticket.

I think I previously replied to this incorrectly, sorry!
For the scenario described, I have never heard or experienced that happening. It makes zero sense for Tesla (whether on their server or in the app) to cache an entire trip from days ago and play it back. At most it would cache a stationary location (which as I mentioned can be misleading if your car is towed, one of the most common reported scenario where the location doesn't match on the app).

If you see the car moving, I would take that as extremely unlikely (which as another mentioned is not technically "impossible" to implement, just that there is zero evidence this is a thing).

Reactions: jjrandorin
Weird. Happened to me after an update. Set up my destination and set off from home. The diretctions it gave were from couple of streets away from where I was. Thought I would have to stop and reset it but it cleared itself after a mile or two.

Weird. Happened to me after an update. Set up my destination and set off from home. The diretctions it gave were from couple of streets away from where I was. Thought I would have to stop and reset it but it cleared itself after a mile or two.
That's not the same thing, that's the GPS unit giving the wrong coordinates, which can happen for a variety of reasons (one is cabin camera interference, the earlier ones did not have the cabin camera shielded).

The OP instead is talking about the mobile app and a previous trip being played back on the app, presumably at location not anywhere close (not talking about being off by a few streets). He is not talking about directions the car is showing on the screen.

Both my cars will show the correct location in drive, then suddenly start bouncing all over the world before returning to show correct location. Only applies to app; the in-car position is correct at all times, and API seems to return correct location as well…

After I did a factory reset, the map in the vehicle shows California. But I’m in Florida! Does it may be take an hour or so to correct the location in the vehicle?
No, you just need to drive the vehicle so that the GPS can get a signal and update the location. Note Teslas do not update the vehicle location until the drive wheels actually move via the car's power, so you can park there forever and it will never update. It also won't update if your car is towed (something some found out the hard way).

Reactions: Electric700