Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ - Dan Neil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is no one talking about Dan Neil's review of the Model Y? It's all behind a paywall, but here's the article.

Attachments

• dan_neil.png
    dan_neil.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
Over the years I've read a lot of Dan's reviews and for the most part find them objective and entertaining. Automotive reviews have to be taken with a grain of salt as there are a lot factors behind them. If a newspaper, magazine, independent reviewer, etc. 'slams' a car or manufacturer chances are they won't be given access and/or 'perks' in the future. The Model Y has the potential to be the 'World's Best Car' but certainly not at this very moment.

Quality of a new car purchase shouldn't be a 'flip of a coin'.
Can't disagree..

You can add me the list of folks willing to take their chances this round though. My M3 got totaled and my wife wanted something else. The middle ground was almost a used MS, but we wanted the newer tech. Really hoping whatever happens, Tesla will make it right as they had in the past. I'm sure it's costin' them though.

The y is much better than the s they gave me as a loaner, I hate the S interior
I'll tell you what, when I got my M3 I was really, really upset they went with no dash and single screen...
Now I just drove a 2020 Lexus Rx350 (as a loaner for our Rx400h getting serviced) and I was like "What the hell are all these knobs and buttons! They're not even labeled well, WTH is all this?!"

I'd be thrilled if I got to check out a loaner MS if/when my car needs SC service - but that's a rare rare thing these days.

I'll tell you what, when I got my M3 I was really, really upset they went with no dash and single screen...
Now I just drove a 2020 Lexus Rx350 (as a loaner for our Rx400h getting serviced) and I was like "What the hell are all these knobs and buttons! They're not even labeled well, WTH is all this?!"

I'd be thrilled if I got to check out a loaner MS if/when my car needs SC service - but that's a rare rare thing these days.
I counted something like 88 knobs, buttons, and switches in my wife's RX450h. Carpal tunnel, anyone?

I think it was posted when it came out, which was the day after I got my Y delivered. Since Dan is my favorite car reviewer, it made me feel even better. Also there is this Motor Trend article by Kim Reynolds.

2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range First Drive Review: Bring the Family

The whole premise of the average family is a bit annoying, but lends credence to the idea that it’s going to be the car that gets Tesla tons of revenue, but he loves the car and I thought this worth quoting.

Although the Model Y Long Range weighs in at 4,367 pounds—305 heavier than the equivalent Model 3—I nonetheless bootleg recorded a 0-60 rip in 4.6 seconds. That's quicker than Tesla's 4.8-second claim for this crossover, and I wasn't even trying. You want to go for a test drive. There's no ignition switch; just place a key card behind the cupholders or activate the app on your phone, and off you go, lightning quick.

The car reacts to the accelerator pedal application like you're squeezing the trigger of a slot car. Even though we've become familiar with this sort of playful antic from Teslas, to feel it in a "long range" SUV provides a feeling of wonder.

That accelerative force is matched by its Corvette-quick, two-turn lock-to-lock steering that feels as though you are being sucked into corners (with the caveat that this particular car is wearing the optional 20-inch, $2,000 "Induction" wheels, not the base car's 19-inchers).

Ever driven a K1 electric race kart? It's kind of like that, except your eye level is 4.5 feet off the ground, you can bring four friends, and you're able to pull a 3,500-pound boat and trailer with the optional $1,000 tow hitch.​