TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WTB: Tesla NEMA 6-50 adapter

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Turbojim, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Turbojim

Turbojim Member

Hello, I will be taking delivery of an S85 in a few weeks and my garage is wired with a NEMA 6-50 outlet - due to my current EVSE needing that plug style. I was wondering if someone had a 6-50 adapter that they were willing to part with. Please let me know.

Thank you

2. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

3. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

Does this adapter simply ignore the Neutral line? I assume an adapter like this would be useful in places where simply wiring a NEMA 14-50 and not ignoring the neutral line would not pass code... or am I missing something?

as well as the adapter does the job, it is a much less clean install vs just using a NEMA 6-50 dongle on the UMC.

AFAIK the Model S doesn't need a neutral line when dealing with 240 V and doesn't care if it is there or not.

4. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

It would be much cheaper to change out the receptacle to mate with one on your existing adapters.

5. MyJoule

MyJoule Member

The neutral is not used in the adapter from cord depot or the Tesla adapter. The big thing to remember with the cord depot adapter is to never ever use it on and RV- you'll damage the appliances in the RV! This adapter must be marked for EV use only.

I used mine at my mother in law's where there was a 6-50 welding outlet in the garage- worked like a champ...

I will add in DO NOT CHANGE OUT THE RECEPTACLE from a 6-50 to a 14-50 unless you have all 4 wires present (2 HOTS, 1 Neutral 1 Ground) in the conduit! THIS IS CERTAINLY a CODE VIOLATION- and WILL DAMAGE AN RV if plugged into it!

6. Turbojim

Turbojim Member

I was able to source one from a service center through a forum member. Thank you everyone.