Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X-Care Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pro-rata refund takes into account the amount of time that has elapsed through the contract term, the amount of miles, and any claims that have already been paid.

Can you give an example with actual money figures? In my above example how much exactly would I get back?

Your answers are very vague. Getting nervous about your company, like there is something to hide.....

I would say with a Tesla the most expensive components are not covered which are the ones most likely to fail out of warranty.

Below are exclusion items.
I X . WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
Coverage is not provided under this Contract:

B: For maintenance services and parts described in Your Vehicle’s Owner’s Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts which include, but are not limited to: alignments, coolants, EV battery/battery pack/drivetrain, battery cable, fuses, interior LED lighting, hoses, clamps, belts, shock absorbers, mobile connector, wall connector, any future connectors, and any related charging adapters,tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts, tire pressure sensors, valve stems, light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, safety restraint systems (including air bags), brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, speakers, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weatherstrip/body seals, door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, conversion van appliances, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, any repairs to correct rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water ingestion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, odors, manual clutch system (friction clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out, and pilot bearing). Any options/equipment not originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.

I would say with a Tesla the most expensive components are not covered which are the ones most likely to fail out of warranty.

Below are exclusion items.
I X . WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
Coverage is not provided under this Contract:

B: For maintenance services and parts described in Your Vehicle’s Owner’s Manual as supplied by the manufacturer and other normal maintenance services and parts which include, but are not limited to: alignments, coolants, EV battery/battery pack/drivetrain, battery cable, fuses, interior LED lighting, hoses, clamps, belts, shock absorbers, mobile connector, wall connector, any future connectors, and any related charging adapters,tires, wheels, wheel covers, wheel lugs and lug nuts, tire pressure sensors, valve stems, light bulbs, sealed beams, lenses, safety restraint systems (including air bags), brake rotors, brake drums, brake shoes, brake pads, speakers, upholstery, paint, glass, trim, moldings, weatherstrip/body seals, door bushings/bearings, body panels, sheet metal, bumpers, frames and structural parts, sub-frames, brackets, convertible top assemblies, vinyl top, conversion van appliances, shop supplies, environmental waste charges or disposal fees, lost or missing parts, electronic diagnostic equipment fees, freight, any repairs to correct rust, corrosion, water intrusion, water ingestion, water damage, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, squeaks, rattles, odors, manual clutch system (friction clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out, and pilot bearing). Any options/equipment not originally installed by the vehicle manufacturer.

When we created X-Care, we mirrored Tesla's own Extended Warranty (Extended Service Agreement), that also excludes Battery and drive unit. The Battery/drive-unit is covered under a separate 8 year warranty that the vehicle will still likely have (not part of your 4 year and 50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty). Whether you go through Tesla, or 3rd party, there is no method (that we are aware of) to extend battery/drive unit warranty as of yet.

We will work on releasing a separate battery and drive unit warranty as an offering once there is more pricing data on those components from Tesla. Right now, since most vehicles still have the warranty that covers those minimal components, we do not have enough data to know the cost nationwide to create a product, but it is our intention!

Reactions: hpartsch
Can you give an example with actual money figures? In my above example how much exactly would I get back?

Your answers are very vague. Getting nervous about your company, like there is something to hide.....

We have nothing to hide, are transparent to all, and was not trying to be vague in any sense - just answering your question about the equation for a pro-rata refund. If that was not clear to you, then sure, more than happy to answer your specific example...

In your example, "So say you buy a 3 year one for $3000 and cancel after 1 year. You will get $2000 back?".
  • The question is a bit incomplete to answer so I will expand for you. Say you buy a 3 year and 30,000 mile warranty for $3,000 and cancel after 1 year and only drove 10,000 miles in that first year, and made no claims during that year. Yes, you would receive $2,000 back. What if you had a $300 repair that was paid for? Well then you would receive $1,700 back.
  • There are 3 factors in the warranty; term length, mileage, and claims. It takes into account the percentage of time that elapsed through the term, the percentage of mileage you have driven through the term, and deducts any paid claims that have already been satisfied.
This is a very detailed answer. If you have any more questions, please reach out to us directly and someone on our team can help.

How does X-Care address upgrades a customer might do such as MCU2, HW3 before or after the customer buys a extended service contract? I have a MCU1 and its working for me so far However worried about the eventual death of the MCU1 and needing to replace this with MCU1 or upgrade to MCU2 if that becomes the only choice. I am looking at X-Care as an option when my warranty finally runs out in 14 months.

How does X-Care address upgrades a customer might do such as MCU2, HW3 before or after the customer buys a extended service contract? I have a MCU1 and its working for me so far However worried about the eventual death of the MCU1 and needing to replace this with MCU1 or upgrade to MCU2 if that becomes the only choice. I am looking at X-Care as an option when my warranty finally runs out in 14 months.

X-Care covers MCU failures, however it does not cover upgrades, so if a MCU1 fails it would be replaced by what Tesla recommends as the true replacement. If they say that MCU2 is the only way to switch out a failed MCU1, then that is what it is (to date, this is not the case). Our claims team follows the guidance of Tesla on what is needed to be replaced in order for the problem to be solved. This is something we are keeping a close eye on to see what the official Tesla guidance will be - we fully expect Tesla's guidance to change over time.

We have nothing to hide, are transparent to all, and was not trying to be vague in any sense - just answering your question about the equation for a pro-rata refund. If that was not clear to you, then sure, more than happy to answer your specific example...

In your example, "So say you buy a 3 year one for $3000 and cancel after 1 year. You will get $2000 back?".
  • The question is a bit incomplete to answer so I will expand for you. Say you buy a 3 year and 30,000 mile warranty for $3,000 and cancel after 1 year and only drove 10,000 miles in that first year, and made no claims during that year. Yes, you would receive $2,000 back. What if you had a $300 repair that was paid for? Well then you would receive $1,700 back.
  • There are 3 factors in the warranty; term length, mileage, and claims. It takes into account the percentage of time that elapsed through the term, the percentage of mileage you have driven through the term, and deducts any paid claims that have already been satisfied.
This is a very detailed answer. If you have any more questions, please reach out to us directly and someone on our team can help.

That is a great answer. Thank you for clarifying in such detail.

Seems given the option/possibilities of a prorated refund makes your warranty a solid bet.

X-Care covers MCU failures, however it does not cover upgrades, so if a MCU1 fails it would be replaced by what Tesla recommends as the true replacement. If they say that MCU2 is the only way to switch out a failed MCU1, then that is what it is (to date, this is not the case). Our claims team follows the guidance of Tesla on what is needed to be replaced in order for the problem to be solved. This is something we are keeping a close eye on to see what the official Tesla guidance will be - we fully expect Tesla's guidance to change over time.
Thanks for the quick response.

Reactions: XCare EV
Can anyone provide recent info/reviews on their experience with X-Care? I have a 2017 MS 100D with about 9 months remaining on the factory warranty. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the Tesla ESA 4-year/50k term or X-Care. The quote I received for X-Care (shoutout to Current Automotive for the help) is about $3600 for a 5-year/75k mile term or $4200 for a 7-year/75k mile term (vs $4750 for 4-year/50k Tesla ESA). Note that that is the price starting now (< 30,000 miles on the car) rather than at the expiration of the factory warranty, so reduce that effective term by ~ 9 months and 6000 miles as redundant coverage (overlapping the factory warranty) doesn't have any value. I drive < 10k miles/year so I'm leaning towards the 7-year/75k X-Care. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Hi. What did you finally decide? My MS 2016 just expired and I want to sleep at night and not take the risk as many do. X-care has longer warranties. I plan to keep my MS for a while... TIA

Reactions: XCare EV
From what I read the $100 ( I think you are referring to) is the deductible. I like the longer plan options and prices are lower overall..
I copied this from a previous post above this one. Thank you for your response. I too am struggling to decide to go with x-care.

Can anyone provide recent info/reviews on their experience with X-Care? I have a 2017 MS 100D with about 9 months remaining on the factory warranty. I'm trying to decide whether to go with the Tesla ESA 4-year/50k term or X-Care. The quote I received for X-Care (shoutout to Current Automotive for the help) is about $3600 for a 5-year/75k mile term or $4200 for a 7-year/75k mile term (vs $4750 for 4-year/50k Tesla ESA). Note that that is the price starting now (< 30,000 miles on the car) rather than at the expiration of the factory warranty, so reduce that effective term by ~ 9 months and 6000 miles as redundant coverage (overlapping the factory warranty) doesn't have any value. I drive < 10k miles/year so I'm leaning towards the 7-year/75k X-Care. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I've been watching these thread for like a year. Not one experience quoted....

So I'm very hesitant. At this point my lease expires in a few months and I'm prob gonna bite the bullet and continue with no warranty. Scary but I'm being more carefull. I used to drive a bit with the gullwings open now I don't. Etc.

I've been watching these thread for like a year. Not one experience quoted....

So I'm very hesitant. At this point my lease expires in a few months and I'm prob gonna bite the bullet and continue with no warranty. Scary but I'm being more carefull. I used to drive a bit with the gullwings open now I don't. Etc.

I just bought x-care. I assume it will go fine..

If you have MCU1 and it goes out and Tesla offers the option for the upgrade, then you would only have to pay the difference. So far we are seeing MCU1s around $1,300 while the MCU2 upgrade is $2,500 so you would just pay the difference, or just pay the $100 deductible to replace the MCU1.

Reactions: JBT66 and MP3Mike
My standard warranty expires in 8000 miles. The price difference is only $100 I will probably pick Tesla extended warranty.
Tesla has an excellent warranty, but they will not cover over 100k miles (which we do). Our towing provision covers running out of charge (Tesla VSA does not) and we have trip interruption/meal reimbursement if you vehicle is disabled more than 100 miles from home for up to five days. Our deductible is only $100 (Tesla VSA is $200). if you have five issues during the warranty period, Tesla VSA would end up costing you $500 more just in deductible. X-Care also covers door handles, while Tesla VSA considers these wear items. Hope this post reaches you while you still haven't made a purchase, b/c we may be the better option on balance. Cheers.