Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X P100DL - Range if you drive a little edgily...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone help me understand what type of range the 100DL is likely to get if you drive safely but relatively quickly - i.e. 90mph+ on the motorways (autobahn). What would be the discount to the ideal range. Asking for a friend. :)

Can anyone help me understand what type of range the 100DL is likely to get if you drive safely but relatively quickly - i.e. 90mph+ on the motorways (autobahn). What would be the discount to the ideal range. Asking for a friend. :)
You could expect 180-200 mile range if you drove at those speeds. Could be slightly less depending on terrain, and weather.

Based on data from the roadster range/speed curves and a slightly sub-linear extrapolation of the data from 70-80mph I get a range of 224 miles at 90mph for a 100D and 218 miles for a P100DL. Add air conditioning or heating and 500 pounds to the car and it's probably more like 200-210.

Sustained speeds above 70mph are pretty much the biggest contributing factor to reduced range caused by driver behavior. Worse than AC and heat usage, range mode, etc. And that'll be especially true on the MX compared to the MS.

Not trying to discourage you from doing so of course, that's your choice :)

At those speeds usage goes up real quick. Here's a video from Bjorn where he was on the autobahn with the X. His average was 640wh / mi but not sure exactly how fast other than an average of 81mph. At that rate on a P100DL @ 100% charge might get you 150 miles.

Energy usage also depends on the wheel/tire setup. The 22" tires seems to consume far more energy than the 20"' wheels.

Jump to 7:24 in the video where talks about the leg on the autobahn.

His average was 640wh / mi but not sure exactly how fast other than an average of 81mph

Wow, that's nearly double the rated consumption of the car.

Remember that drag is a velocity cubed effect.... On a road trip it almost never makes sense to speed from a time efficiency standpoint. Of course it's different if Point A to Point B is an easily covered distance with chargers on both end.... but the economics of driving fast in an EV are much different than those in a gas car.